Looking at this 96 F250 4wd 5spd

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Figured,but never know when they change something "minor". Lol
From what I can tell you're looking at $600-$1000, easy, to do the electric pump (especially if you're not assembling everything yourself. I figure in the long run its worth it,but at this time I don't think I could quite afford that when I can easily replace the mechanical pump at half that cost, or less.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will finally get a chance to talk with the owner Monday, damn duck season. I have every intention of buying the vehicle. I cannot perceive of a reason I wouldn't.
I've already collected parts:
2 new batteries
New driver tie rod and end
New starter solenoid
New fuel hoses
New oil filter (Motorcraft FL1995)
Hopefully, the only remaining things to acquire are oil, coolant/flush/additive, new fuel filter, two new tires, and, of course, the truck; at which time I'll start a new thread that will proudly proclaim myself as a new PSD owner. [emoji2]

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I officially own a 1995 Ford F250 4wd 5spd Powerstroke. I'll start a new thread when I get it home, but that will be a bit. Going to try and get some work done on it before I drive it home and the former owners are cool with that. Really good people and I totally stole the truck at $2000.

leojr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question most likely related to this truck... The door sticker shows 55 psi for the front and 80 psi for the rear. My '96 is is also 8800 gvwr but is 55 psi front and rear.

Thought the differing front/rear tire pressure was a E series (van) thing.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is yours a 4wd? I'm really not sure why they'd be different. With the same GVWR you'd think they would be. What's your axle code/ type?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I pretty much never go off the door sticker. That's for factory tires.
I'm around 75 psi front and rear, iirc.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Factory tires are 235/ 75/ 16. Pretty well nobody runs those. I'm running 285/ 75/ 16, and about 75 in each tire (they're rated at 80 PSI cold).

sassyrel

Reaction score
About a quart or three low.

Don't worry about running a Powerstroke low on oil... it's literally impossible to hurt them by doing so (or if it has ever happened, I've certainly never heard of it). If the low pressure pump can't supply the high pressure pump (HPOP), then the engine can't run. So, it will actually shut itself down before it can do any damage due to low oil levels.

low oil level sensor in pan will shut it off.....

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Factory tires are 235/ 75/ 16. Pretty well nobody runs those. I'm running 285/ 75/ 16, and about 75 in each tire (they're rated at 80 PSI cold).
Factory tires are 235/85/16. 235/75s are too small, and are unlikely to be Load Range E (though they're not unheard of). Inflation ratings on the tire are for the HEAVIEST vehicle (look at the max load PER TIRE on the tire) on which they'll ever be mounted. Proper inflation is based on the VEHICLE, not the tire.

low oil level sensor in pan will shut it off.....
Yeah, and the "Incoming Satellite" warning light on the dash will warn you of anything about to fall on the truck.....

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Factory tires are 235/85/16. 235/75s are too small, and are unlikely to be Load Range E (though they're not unheard of). Inflation ratings on the tire are for the HEAVIEST vehicle (look at the max load PER TIRE on the tire) on which they'll ever be mounted. Proper inflation is based on the VEHICLE, not the tire.

So, generally speaking, the heaviest vehicle a 16" tire will be used on is a one ton. How do you figure the proper inflation for a lighter vehicle?

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go by the door jamb sticker.

For stock size this would be true. Once you go non standard watch the wear, ride, handling, etc. Long as they aren't too low or overinflated you shouldn't have an issue.

On any vehicle once you change from the exact factory tire, different brands/ styles etc. will all work a little different. Even in the factory size. Door jam becomes a great guide/ fallback number, but you can fine tune that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk