Looking at a 97 Crew Cab

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I am looking at a 97 CC 4x4 7.3 w/5 speed.

This would be a replacement to my 94 IDI. I love my IDI but it seems to be cursed by fate......car accident.

The vehicle I am looking at has 150k and looks to be used for towing since it has a Team roping sticker on it.

Just wondering what I need to look at to be 100% certain before I buy this rig.

1. I know to do a cold start to verify the functionality of the glow plug system. If that were to be an issue what is the time and cost involved to replace/repair the system?

2. What boost #'s are 'normal' when unloaded at different speeds? Note its a 5 sp so that will vary....I understand that.

IS there anything else I need to check or verify before pruchase?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Thad

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
The 97 is the best year for the Powerstroke. What is the price? The 5sp is hard to find!

To me, overall condition says more about the truck than anything else. Do all of the tires match, does it go down the road straight, no noises shakes or vibrations. That all says a lot about how the truck was maintained.

Is the body clean or is it a beat up work truck? XL ot XLT?

That fact that it hauled stuff is not a big deal, that is what they were built for.

I will have a Beautiful 37K mile F350 PSD 5sp CC Dually conversion for sale soon but it is a 2wd, and it wont be cheap,..:sly The damn thing even has a drivers seat massager. :D

yoslick

Reaction score
Good glow plug relays about $80 and a set of Glow Plugs vary wildly on Ebay (I paid $25 for my ZD-11's) valve cover gaskets/wire looms are about $75 a side. Check the valley for oil/fuel leaks, pop the rubber boot on the turbo and check the fins for condition (dusting/bent/missing) then I'd pop the oil cap or dip stick while its running and see how much blow by it's got, will be some but it shouldn't be a jet engine.. Oh, check the oil pan for rotting as well...

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Darrin

They are asking $8900. Its an XLT and the interior is slightly worn. I thought the 97 was the best year and its seems there are tons of them!!! I am trying to stay local with a sale since having to traveling and drive back starts adding up quick plus I need a 4x4.

Thanks for the helpful info!!!!

Thad

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I went over today and gave the rig a once over.

Before Startup:
Upon visual inspection the only things I noticed before I started it was oil residue on the top of the engine under the turbo, the battery connections all had slight corrosion on the terminals and the coolant reservoir was on the low side.

Startup:
The rig had not been started in a few days at least. The temperature outside was -1F. I cycled the glowplugs twice and the rig started up and after a few seconds it settled on the high idle. The heater/defroster works fine and warmed up the rig in a hurry.

Warmup:
While I was letting it idle I noticed the engine was vibrating alot but it smoothed out after it warmed up. (It understand diesels dont like cold but is that NORMAL?) At this point I saw a little red coolant drip and red spot in the snow :confused:. It was dripping off the oil pan and looked to be coming from up around the rear of the engine.

Short Drive:
I pulled the rig around to the front of the shop to have the mechanic look at it. Went in to 4x4 easily and shifted through the first few gears without issue!!! While it was parked by the shop it was still leaking coolant. Total it looked to be about a coffee cup of fluid that had leaked out.

What are the possible issues? I am thinking leaky hose or cracked head. How much would a cracked head cost? What other issues could be related to the coolant leak?

Otherwise the only htings wrong with the truck is that the back seat middle seat belt is cut and the drivers side rear window switch is inoperative. The window was operating fromt he drivers seat but not the switch in the rear seat.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Thad

yoslick

Reaction score
What options do you have to see where the leak is? Mechanic/shop etc.... If it's a head gasket your lookin at major cash unless you have the ability to do it your self.. Could be simple, heater hoses, heater box itself etc... but it definately needs to be investigated closely. With all the little things wrong with the truck I'd say that price is on the high side as well..

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
With some help I have come to the conclusion it cant be coolant since the red coolant shouldnt have been used.

Most likely its ATF from the tranny, power steering or transfercase. Might have to give it a closer look when its warmer and not a blizzard!!!

Thanks
Thad

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
That is a deal! Buy it! My only concern would be rust. Every thing else is easy.
GP relay from international is only$25. GPs you can get on ebay for $75, but they will go at least 200k without issues. The spider harnesses under the VC are one issue and so are the VC gaskets being there is an electrical pug in themcookoo. But you already verified that the GP system is fully functioning.

A rotten oil pan is a common thing on these trucks and you have to pull the engine in order to change it. Check the radiatior support for rot near the mounts. The bottom of the doors and the bottom of the tailgate for rot. The bed wheel wells are another common spot for rot.

For the red fluid dripping on the ground by the pass rear of the engine i am lost. These ZF5 do not have a trans cooler and the power steering fluid is not on that side at all.

As for 97 being the best year? Not really. The 94-97 were all the same really other than the aluminum on the tail gate was stopped in 96.

As for reliability the CPS is the only real problem these engines have. They are $30, just keep one in the glove box w a 10mm wrench.

Lets see some pics

I have had 2 differnt strokes and have put more than 100k on each one with never being left stranded. I like my stokes so much i am pulling my idi out of my 86 and putting in a stroke. Dont be afraid of modern technology, there is a different learning curve than the idi but these are great trucks

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
On the Red fluid, is it possible that there is off road diesel in the tank and it is a fuel leak. It would come down the bell housing of the trans if it leaking up in the valley pan of the motor.

Just a thought.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Unfortunaely it may be. But this truck appears as though it may have been a farm truck......maybe no issues.

I will drive by today and look......

Thad

wyldhillbillie

Reaction score
the problem with the rear door switch is probably a broken wire in the door jam. a common problem with my truck

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
The mechanic told me that the rig might have a rear main seal leak and it definately has a power steering leak. Apparently it needs a new windshield too.

They are selling it for $7900 now with the obvious necessary repairs!!!

Any suggestions? Note that I cant buy it and fix it myself since I am on vacation.....

Thanks
Thad

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
The mechanic told me that the rig might have a rear main seal leak and it definately has a power steering leak. Apparently it needs a new windshield too.

They are selling it for $7900 now with the obvious necessary repairs!!!

Any suggestions? Note that I cant buy it and fix it myself since I am on vacation.....

Thanks
Thad

Buy it!!!

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Yeah, my thing is that I dont want to dig into it and find more wrong than they already have.

Thad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat