Looking at a 90 F250 7.3 IDI, have 2 hours to make decision, please help!

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like my bf goodwrench tires in that size. Good on and off road, and have a high load rating.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
They are aftermarket 16.5 x 12.5 x 33s with aggressive tread and are weather worn a bit on the sides. Wouldn't trust them with a load or long distance...I am happy downgrading to a 16" good hauling tire. Better fuel economy anyway.
That was a popular size for these trucks too. I have never run that size but if I recall they can contact bumper or fenders if no lift kit is installed. Others will chime in on this. Yes 235/85/16 will get u better milage and better snow/wet road traction. The wide tires are better off road dirt sand mud. Always run 10 ply load range E tires on these trucks. I hate Kumo Handcock and those other cheap crap tires from wherever they make that junk. Michelin's are king, but expensive, but will outlast anything else. Bf Goodrich Goodyear Brigstone and some Cooper tires are good also but you have to watch because some of them have cheaper models that are chinese or korean crap too.

Last edited:

GunnerJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 16.5x12.3x33's did hit my front bumper on my f250, all I did was take a cutting wheel and cut out a nice curve on the front bumper. People don't notice unless I show them. Then about 4 months later I bought helper springs for the front and I bet I could fit 35s or maybe even squeeze 37s in with that extra bumper space.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well thats a fine truck..great looking and hope it holds well for you.

How far is Yelm from Oroville WA?

I just met Sam yesterday in Oroville and we talked shop about these trucks...cannot recall his user name.

IP and injectors should be bought from KNOWN suppliers regardless of what a local reputable shop says....zorry we see too many reputable shops sell less than stellar products.

Having Mel or Rusz.. @Agnem or @typ4 or even Justin from R n D provide a pump is really peace of mind.

If you are not to far check the timing registry for a local member who can help time and maybe assist you with needed things.

More pics please!

JM7.3CW

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Congratulations on a great truck purchase and welcome to the forum.. For the price and appearance of this rig I'd say you did well. Best part of a mechanically injected diesel engine is they are stupid simple to fit most anyplace if they break down. Keeping the fuel system fresh and tight will make for a quick starts every morning. Best to find out what type of glow plugs are in this engine. As for oil changes my personal choice is Delo 15W40 year round. We can use the powerstroke oil filters and the number is 1995. They are the larger better filters made by Motorcraft. You can find them at Walmart most of the time too. The filter media works better that what Ford recommended for the idi engine so many owners here have changed to using these larger filters. An oil change will take 110 quarts of oil too with the large filter.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Non intentional typo I'm sure, but also not that far from the truth lol..

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well he did say "large" filter....

(And yes, it esp. seems like that much when you pay for the oil.....)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sorry bout the typo. It takes 11 quarts with the large 1995 powerstroke oil filter and 10 quarts with the standard oil filter. I have fat fingers and am not a proof reader.

abacuschicken

Reaction score
Hello All!

I took a train last night to pick my truck up! Very cool, love it :) I am trying to prioritize the issues that need addressed based on importance v. $$$ (of course). The truck has a small fuel leak and needs a return kit. It also rides kinda womp womp womp because of the tires being old and worn un-even. I know it will need shocks, front brakes, and leaf spring bushings soon. The IP pump is on the list but not immediately. My plan is return kit, tires, brakes, IP pump...Any thoughts from anyone? I will also have the glow plugs replaced with I have the IP pump done. I don't know how much injectors are, so that may be prohibitive for now.
You must be registered for see images attach
...Othello is close to 300 miles from where I live. I would like a recommendation from anyone that can help me find or is a reliable and KNOWLEDGEABLE, and TRUSTWORTHY diesel mechanic to help me.

abacuschicken

Reaction score
When making the purchase decision, I found a mechanic is Olympia that went out of his way to help me and get me information...His name is Derek with Northwest Motor Specialites...any feedback from anyone? He called the shop that does his IP rebuilds and between the rebuild fee and his labor quoted me approx $700-$800 for the work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online