Looking at a '05 Passat GLS TDI

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Looking at a '04 Passat GLS TDI

Fellers, I'm in need of a reliable commuter vehicle for me to go to the plant in as well as have room enough for the wifey and the 2 kiddos. We've pretty much settled on the Passat and I'm going to test drive one tomorrow morning after I wake up. The one I've found is an auto with 94k miles.

The dealer has a Carfax showing it was sold or traded to a local dealer in October then a month and a half later it was sold/traded to another dealer. I don't know if this was a wholesale deal or someone bought it, found a problem, and then dumped it.

What kind of problems do I need to look for? I know the timing belt is the issue and apparently the water pump too. I'm looking for common issues that I can spot relatively easily, because if I don't see anything glaring I'm going to take it to a local shop that specializes in Volvos and VWs and ask them to give it a good once over.

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Manual or automatic?

It will be a PD engine...which have some cam wear issues. I wouldnt be super worried about it, but make sure you use 505.01 VW rated 5w40 rated oils. The other two that many agree meet these standards are Rotella T6 and Mobile 1 Turbo diesel truck (TDT).

pafixitman

Reaction score
In regards to the car fax....if it was sold to an individual, it would show. dealer to dealer leads me to believe it was a wholesale type deal.

I work at a Chevy store currently (never posted the job change) and we have access to a auction type database to acquire used vehicles from other participating dealers.

Make sure the mileage trail is good and accidents...now if the accident was never run through insurance it may not show.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
It does show an accident at about 7000 miles with damage to right front of the vehicle. The recent transaction shows that the vehicle was registered and a lien reported to the DMV which leads me to believe that it was sold to an individual.

In regards to the cam issues, is there a way to diagnose any premature wear without going into the engine? IS there a funny noise to listen for, smoke at idle, etc that I can check. Also, can a mechanic tell if the timing belt has been changed recently (or is worn out), or if the water pump/trannie are on their way out?

I plan to go when the car is cold and has been sitting overnight. I probably won't make a purchase today but if it's a good deal I might.

The car has 94k miles and they are asking $9900.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Oh and I was mistaken, the VW is a '04 model. Don't know if that makes any difference though.

Lastly, do the same cam issues exist for the '04 Jetta TDI as I'm also looking at that as well (also an auto)?

Last edited:

pafixitman

Reaction score
It does show an accident at about 7000 miles with damage to right front of the vehicle. The recent transaction shows that the vehicle was registered and a lien reported to the DMV which leads me to believe that it was sold to an individual.

In regards to the cam issues, is there a way to diagnose any premature wear without going into the engine? IS there a funny noise to listen for, smoke at idle, etc that I can check. Also, can a mechanic tell if the timing belt has been changed recently (or is worn out), or if the water pump/trannie are on their way out?

I plan to go when the car is cold and has been sitting overnight. I probably won't make a purchase today but if it's a good deal I might.

The car has 94k miles and they are asking $9900.

ok. lein recorded would indicate a private registration...now that said we have sold cars and the sale / lein shows on the carfax but due to various reasons we cannot get funding (the actual money) from the bank that approved the financing and we have to roll the deal back. (Proof of income does not match what the consumer used on credit app, job cannot be verified etc)

The sad part about carfax damage reports is it could be as minor as repainting a front fender or actually replacing it.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
5 Speed auto's are fine (09A). They are much more stout than the auto's they replaced (4 speed 01M). Yes, the cam issue is present in 2004...they are termed PD TDI's. PD means "Pumpe Duese" or something like that...basically the cam has a lobe for each injector and pressurizes the injector by pushing down on it (like it would a valve). At 9xK miles on it, I wouldnt be worried. You can tell they are going bad when it sounds like you have an exhaust leak at idle. Just make sure you use 505.01 VW rated 5w40 oil, or Rotella T6 or Mobile One TDT.

As far as the timing belt, I dont know how to tell if its been done unfortunatly. They have a 90-100K mile change interval so if it hasnt been done on this car....it really needs to.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
basically the cam has a lobe for each injector and pressurizes the injector by pushing down on it (like it would a valve).

It is interesting to me, that VW has cam problems on these engines. The locomotives I run at work, use the same type of injectors. Those same locomotives were built in the 1950's. From what I've been told, the cams last 20-30 years. Here's a pic of one locomotive injector. They are about 10 inches long overall...

You must be registered for see images attach

I stand corrected....

On the locomotive engines, the cam has rollers riding on it and not the injectors themselves. Here's a youtube video of a running locomotive engine. Each cylinder has four exhaust valves, with the injector in the center of them..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4TsgAQOSNY

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online