long cranking problem

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey everyone, well my truck has been having some very long cranking times before it starts lately, hop in the truck wait until the glow plug light is out then start cranknig, takes a long time then it jumps to life while pooring out black smoke for about one second then all is fine, i thought it might have been one of my rusted return lines, so i replaced that line and its still doing it, i replaced my return lines and caps last year because of this same issue, so now i noticed that after the glow plug light goes out im not hearing any clicking at all like i normally did, so now im thinking there is an issue with the glow plug system, so what do you all think?

i dont think its a fuel issue and its been cold were im at so i can see the glow plugs are not heating up it casuing this issue

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my truck, it had air intrusion issues. It would start immediately, then die shortly, followed by it being hard to start. This doesn't sound like your issue.

I would suggest counting how long the glow plugs stay on on a cold engine. Mine used to stay on for about 10 seconds, now it stays on for 4 hot or cold.

Plug in the block heater for an hour or so when the engine is cold, then attempt to start it. If you have a glow plug problem, it will start much quicker.

Also, check your batteries and your starter. These need to spin the engine about 200 rpm when starting IIRC to start properly.

Good luck.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks, im going to plug it in when i get home, i work midnights, i have two new batteries on it and it turns over fast and with no problem so i dont beleave its that, ill see how long the light stays on as well,

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So long as youre plugging it in when the engine is cold , and dont leave it plugged in too long. Your electric bill would be shocking lol

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my pocket doesnt like the bill at all, last year i had to plug it in every day to get it to start and it doesnt help i also have two battery warmers on it to, since i have had the truck it never liked starting in the cold when it wasnt plugged in so i think its time for some new glow plugs anyway, i dont think they have ever been replaced to be honest LOL, i have to check the controller to make sure its not bad and that what i am thinking is the issue right now, i know before it would click when the light would go off and now there is no click

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my pocket doesnt like the bill at all, last year i had to plug it in every day to get it to start and it doesnt help i also have two battery warmers on it to, since i have had the truck it never liked starting in the cold when it wasnt plugged in so i think its time for some new glow plugs anyway, i dont think they have ever been replaced to be honest LOL, i have to check the controller to make sure its not bad and that what i am thinking is the issue right now, i know before it would click when the light would go off and now there is no click

my GP stay on for about 3 seconds too short IMO. Only way my truck will start normally is if i double or even triple cycle them in very cold months. Then it starts well. All new Beru, i think its a wirign issue.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Next cold start look for white smoke from the tail pipe when cranking. If thats seen you have a glow plug isue. White smoke while cranking is fuel that has no heat to ignite. Now open the engine main wire harness plug usually found near the passenger fender well. Its the wire harness that supplys all the electrical for the engine. In that plug thats about 3 inches long and 1 inch wide there is 2 yellow wires. Those feed power to the controller. That plug has way too small pins in it to handle the power needs of the controller when any corrosion gets in there. This is a very common problem. Many times that plug melts because of the heat that builds up because of the corrosion. Mine actually melted. Smoked up thru the hood joint making me think I smoked my starter one cold morning start. I fixed this by running a larger wire directly from the fender solenoid to the glow plug controller. I went to an audio speaker shop and got some 6 gauge wire and the lugs. I never have had any more issues with starting either. That 2 yellow wires are a conjoined pair on both ends into the same lug. All you need to do is cut off the wires where it looks best to you. No need to open up the loom and remove it all. Just run the new wire on the old wire toute too. Add in a breaker if you want one. Be very careful working on this wire because its always powered up with full 2000 amps of batery power waiting for a ground to show you how fast small wire melts. Same hot issue with the alternater feed wire off the back of the alternaters...

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
To the OP, check the glow plugs for ohms values (best method) 1-2 ohms, or a somy continuity check with a test light with the clip on the positive battery post and test probe on each glow plug spade.
Sounds like you've got a couple that have burned out.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the replies everyone, the truck has most certenaly had white smoke when it was cranking over and today i plugged in the block heater and let is sit for a few hours and it fired right up no problem, so i am now positive its something with the glow plug system, i am going to check the wires that feed the power to the controller and i am also going to check the glow plugs themselves, i think no matter what is the problem i am going to replace the glow plugs anyway, checked on advanced auto parts website and if i order them online i can get all 8 ford motorcraft glow plugs for 80 dollars so i figure why not, im sure it need them, now if it isnt any wire or corrosion issue and is the controller can you guys tell me what is the best brand to use?

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i checked all the wiring on the glow plug controller and everything is good, i then checked the glow plugs and all 8 are bad, so im just going to replace everything to have it all new and not have something go out next week on me

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope it fixes it for you. Mine had some cold start issues as well. How is your Cold Idle/Advance working? Does it idle high until it warms up? What is the age on your IP/Injectors and has it been timed? With my old IP/Injectors mine didn't want to start unless it was plugged in at any temperature below about 50*F. I would have to cycle the glow plugs a number of times and crank a bit before it would catch. Now with the new IP/Injectors and proper timing it fires IMMEDIATELY. Of course it hasn't gotten really cold at night yet...just the low 40's. My cold advance sensor isn't working. If I end up needing it I will wire up a switch.

As far as the block heater, I purchased a timer so it kicks on a few hours before I have to leave. That way it's not running all night.

rowingdude

Reaction score
Sometimes my truck cranks and cranks and cranks. I think it's because of a bad airfilter, but the situation magically fixes itself the moment I try *any* fix, so I wish I could be of more help. It does this after driving, after sitting, or when it just feels like being an *******

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
All 8 were bad!!!??? Man I had 2 go out on mine, and it didnt even begin to think about firing.

Surprised you fired up at all, must have been spinning fast enough to build heat in there

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always been lucky with mine, it will start without glowplugs almost immediately. Then again, the coldest it got without the plugs when they were disconnected on mine was probably about 30, 35 degrees.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea all 8, i do belaeve they are all factory glow plugs, and havent checked the timing on it because i dont have the timing light with ferret adapter to do it yet, but im looking at soon getting a moose pump so i was holiding off until i get it, i think injectors and pump are factory also but thats all on my list to, and luckily i have two brand new batteries so it does turn over pretty fast, but i still have to crank it over for a long time to get it to fire,