long cranking problem

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't feel too bad. Last time I replaced mine, all but 2 were shot. It was Jan, and the truck would still start, it just took it a really long time. I ordered the GP and installed a GP override button that night just to get me by until the weekend. I've counted myself lucky that my truck seems to like to start.

As far as the block heater goes, I wired in a greenhouse timer in the garage and then ran the external outlet off that, or one of them anyway. I ran direct power to the second so that I could use it like a normal outlet without having to go in the garage and mess with the timer. I set the timer to come on at 3AM and turn off at 8AM. Worked for the first year, but now a relay has stuck in it and its on all the time. Need to get that fixed...

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea someone else said they did something like that, never thought of putting a timer on for the block heater thats a great idea

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea someone else said they did something like that, never thought of putting a timer on for the block heater thats a great idea

i used a timer all last winter come home plug it in when you get out.. and its ready to go in the am.. worked good

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either. Wal-mart may have them, and any good hardware store would likely as well.

Make sure to buy one rated for 15 amps or more. The block heater should pull around 8 amps. I don't like to run circuits at more than 80% capacity or so, so the 15 amp will be great in that regard.

Last edited:

hallgren87idi

Reaction score
plugging in your truck shouldnt take that much juice..lol my power bill went up maybe 20 bucks on a 2 month cycle last winter..and i plugged it in every morning for 2 hours lol

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah but 2 hrs a night is a LOT less than 8 or 10. If the block gets cold it will take an hr or two to warm it up and a timr works well for that. Otherwise you plug it in at bed time and don't unplug it until your ready to leave in the morning. That can run the bill up a LOT if you're doing it every night.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rememeber to only buy the Motorcraft or Beru glow plugs! Any other brands of plugs are not as good and may swell and you will have hard time getting them back out of the heads.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
already planned on that, i did some reading on here and got some good information, i can get them all at advance auto parts for 80 bucks so that is my little project this weekend,

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i replaced all the glow plugs and the glow plug controller, truck starts better than i could ask for, thanks everyone

C.J.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my truck, it had air intrusion issues. It would start immediately, then die shortly, followed by it being hard to start. This doesn't sound like your issue.

I'm having this problem with my '90 E350 7.3 N/A. My truck starts right up then dies. I then have to crank it for a solid 15 to 20 seconds for it to start. If I don't drive it every day, this is a guaranteed thing and sometimes it even does it if I let it sit for a few hours and the fuel tank is lower than the engine like when I park on a hill (and not even that much of a hill).

I'm sure air is getting in there but where would be the ideal places to start looking. Other than that, she drives just fine

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start with a return line kit, then check the olives on the hard line to the fuel filter head, and there's another i don't remember where it is,but someone else should chime in with it's location soon .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online