Location of Temperature Switch

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it in the head or behind the timing cover? I'm installing aftermarket gauges and ditching the idiot gauges.

I was thinking the sender should be the larger of the two. But now I think it's the smaller one.

Reaction score
Is it in the head or behind the timing cover? I'm installing aftermarket gauges and ditching the idiot gauges.

Depends on which one you're talking about. There are two, one that runs the gauge on your dash, and another that turns on an idiot light if it gets too hot. The former is located just above the water pump in the timing cover, driver side. The latter is in the driver side head, front corner.

Mike

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on which one you're talking about. There are two, one that runs the gauge on your dash, and another that turns on an idiot light if it gets too hot. The former is located just above the water pump in the timing cover, driver side. The latter is in the driver side head, front corner.

Mike

The temperature SWITCH controls the idiot light, the SENDING UNIT controls the gauge.

You are correct about there being two SWITCHES. One is for the idiot light, the other is for the fast idle control which is located on the passenger side.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
theres also another tempurature SWITCH that controls the high idle and advance solenoid.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The temperature SWITCH controls the idiot light, the SENDING UNIT controls the gauge.

You are correct about there being two SWITCHES. One is for the idiot light, the other is for the fast idle control which is located on the passenger side.

theres also another tempurature SWITCH that controls the high idle and advance solenoid.

agreed.

Reaction score

OK, sure. Figured you wanted the two locations most commonly used for aftermarket temp gauges. Wasn't going to get technical on terms.

Mike