Listen to the senior members about GPs

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
Wow! Were the others like that? What were the EGT's on that thing. Looks like they got a bit high.:eek:

Heath

:dunno all from the PO. I bought the truck and drove it for a while. It was all stock non turbo. It had a few leaks so i decided to yank the motor and go through everything. glad i did. found just that hole like that. cracked heads. and 1 broken lifter. But every morning she fired right up without any hesitation and drove without a hickup. I can almost put my money on it that it still would be running today like that. ;Sweet

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I'm with heath on that pic of the piston, that looks like very high EGT's melting little bits of the piston away, rather than a GP or water in the cylinder. But it also could just be a piston that is carboned up to all hell and for whatever reason little bits of the carbon have flaked off. Who really knows, but GP damage is more severe than that 9 times out of 10.

grog85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was worried about the tips being swollen and not coming out, but they had apparently just popped off. I just broke them loose with a 1/4" ratchet, and they twisted out easily by hand. If I ever have to go into this motor, I'll be curious to see what the pistons DO look like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes