Lemon?????

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
I've towed in a few late model Mack's, since I've been here. I only got to chat with one owner. He said that they had 2 KW's and one Mack. The Mack has been on the hook twice as much as the KW's together.

I agree, though. Mack is Mack is Mack. If you have an all Mack truck, then you have 1 option for parts, and probably for any service. One option really isn't options, is it?

KR69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is sounds like the newer mack's are nothing like the mack's made years ago. So, they got bought out and now they are building a sub par truck, is this about correct?

Ak HDM

Reaction score
Is sounds like the newer mack's are nothing like the mack's made years ago. So, they got bought out and now they are building a sub par truck, is this about correct?

You're probably right about that. I haven't been around many Macks in the last 5 or so years. There aren't many up here, I'm not sure if there is even a dealer in the state nowadays. Years ago, Mack used to mount the steering gearbox directly on the front axle, subject to vibration & road dirt & such- go figure. The first one I saw I thought ***, what kind of engineer designed this! :***:

Ak HDM

Reaction score
I am partial to Kenworth. The W900 or T800 are my favorites.
There are a lot of Kenworth here and hold up really well. Peterbilt is another that is real good. Western Star has been gaining popularity here, they seem tobe prettygood. There are couple of companies that have Freightliners, I don't know how they are holding up.
I prefer Cummins over the bulldozer [Cat] engine. Either N-14 or ISX, around 400 HP, minimum. Probably a 10 speed trans for your area. For rear-ends, Meritor[Rockwell] 40K rating. Air suspension, of course.

KR69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck is out of the shop as of 7:00pm. My brother said it seemed to drive ok. It will be Monday before he can get it loaded to see if it is correct.

What a nightmare of a situation.

If anyone is in central Illinois, I would steer clear of Glatz Mack sales and service. Very disappointing to say the least. Two full weeks down time.

Whoever has been following this ordeal, please cross your fingers for my bro!! He needs some good luck on his side.

Thanks for all the GREAT information!!!!!

Ak HDM

Reaction score
I'm glad he's back on the road.;Sweet I hope everything holds together. I'll keep fingers crossed for him. Hopefully they got it fixed right.
Best of luck

Mike

dslmechanic

Reaction score
Mack

You may want to look at the International Truck as well they seem to be holding up very well .. Some thing you can also look at doing with the super ten tranny is have Mack shut the shift signal off to the super ten and that will make him manually shift up and down.. Your bro will have full control of down shift and up shift .. I had to do that in a Pete with a constant shift up and down problem.. Problem was solved and driver was extremly happy .. Hope your bro gets back on top soon with his running..Kevin

Gary79F250

The Bawston Whalah
Reaction score
As Dslmechanic said, I too have had problems with the super 10 hunt, im not all that fond of them. I performed the same repair, but mine was in a freightshaker with a series 60 detroit. Also here in the northeast we swear by mack's and internationals. seem to hold up well, but most of our driving is stop and go or short distances.

KR69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kevin and Gary, I'm not real familar with big trucks and the specifics. Please educate me. If a truck (freight, Pete, KW, Mack, etc) has the same trans, can any dealer connect to it to read codes and program it?

Thanks guys,

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7