LED Bulbs

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeh.. I bought a lot of cheap Chinese automotive marker LED lights. All hermetically sealed, etc, and came in colors. Red, blue, green, yellow, white.

Rated 10watt.

I thought these were that standard round 9 die design. 3 parallel strings if 3 die.

Commonly used for 10 Watt LED chips.

In a stud mount package instead of the rectangular arrays I normally get.

I posted the link to those arrays earlier.

I thought they would make great indicator lights for some control panels I was building. Foolish me. Got 100 each of a cheap-ass design. 3 die each, not 9.

I would not use them, even though in my application, one looked directly at the LED, as an indicator light. Yes, it would work. It was pretty to look at. Pretty styling. I liked it's 1/4 inch stud mount that went into the panel like a carriage bolt, with a glass lens. Absolutely beautiful, but I could see by how hard I had to drive the die, it probably wouldn't last a year. That control panel would have been junk before it left my shop.

The whole point of going LED was their "eternal" life, and I wasn't gonna get it.

I sure wish they would hire some decent engineers.

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope you post back if those things last. To me it's a PITA ( Pain In The Ass ) to disassemble the dash to get to them.

I want to update a lot of stuff, but merely getting to it overwhelms me. I am quite ignorant of how a lot of it goes together, and it's better if I left it alone. When ignorant, I break more than I fix.

PROFG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like no one has tried a PWM driver for the dash LED's. This one good for 24v so spikes / surges less a probem, especially if some capacitance added on output. Only potential problem might be need to lift ground for LED's you want to dim. Shouldn't be that hard. Link here"
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NHV42D...colid=ONTDRRTPZC10&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
My bad if not allowed to post link on topic.

ps: Not affiliated in any way, plan to order some and try after priming/starting, radiator, fan clutch, etc. problems fixed.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just lucky. We're running all manner of 12v LED lighting in our little off grid house and have not had a single failure. During the finish phase of charging, I've got the charge controller set at iirc, 14.2v and during the monthly equalization, it intermittently cycles up to 14.6v. Of course, this is daytime, so we're not using the lights much. When the house batteries are fully charged, float is 13.2v. All of the bulbs and top hats are from quality suppliers like Superbright, I think that this is key...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I know on the 94 I had, the inside of the cluster was so dusty, I'm surprised any light got through. Blew them out, then used qtips and rubbing alcohol for the rest.
Superbrightleds is good quality. I believe they even have the dimmable ones.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe they even have the dimmable ones.

That's the only reason I haven't done mine yet, I want to be able to dim them and most of the cheap ones are not dimmable. I thought I heard superbrite had the good ones though.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a recommendation for an electronic flasher so the LED turn signals flash normally?

I have a blown taillight so I figure now is as good a time as any.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You gotta try what you got. I think my led lights have resistors because they work just fine with a can flasher. Any parts store will have an electronic one on the shelf.

BTW. They recommend red behind red and Amber behind Amber lenses. My white behind red seem to function OK. Any dimness is probably 35 years of dirt in there

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You gotta try what you got. I think my led lights have resistors because they work just fine with a can flasher. Any parts store will have an electronic one on the shelf.

BTW. They recommend red behind red and Amber behind Amber lenses. My white behind red seem to function OK. Any dimness is probably 35 years of dirt in there

Yeah I'm going to try my current flasher first but if it doesn't work, all the electronic flashers I've seen are either not a true electronic flasher or they are quiet. I'd prefer a louder one to be honest.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If you're leaving the fronts incandescents, you'll probably be fine.
I tried every one orielly carried and not one would work. I ordered some off Amazon, still have them, but sold the truck....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk