Led 1157 for 1985 rear brake/tail

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone else had an issue with led bulbs for taillight?

Got some 1157 led to replace 1157 old bulb.
Put it in and nothing.
Put it in the wrong way and it works..
Huh.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a DOA bulb. The only difference between sides is bright vs dim.

Are you saying both functions only work when installed backwards? That sounds like a loose socket?

I don't know. It's very odd for sure.

I put a set in my camper and they work fine, after I cleaned the terminals.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried the 1157s on my 85 and they worked on the left side, not the right taillights. The brake lights wouldnt come on. My side markers also wouldn't work with leds. Back to stock bulbs and everything works fine.

Part of the fun is not seeing where you're going. Back when these trucks were made there weren't screens to distract everyone so you didn't need blinding lights to not get hit. Gets a bit sketchy in the fog though!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried the 1157s on my 85 and they worked on the left side, not the right taillights. The brake lights wouldnt come on. My side markers also wouldn't work with leds. Back to stock bulbs and everything works fine.

Part of the fun is not seeing where you're going. Back when these trucks were made there weren't screens to distract everyone so you didn't need blinding lights to not get hit. Gets a bit sketchy in the fog though!

Your harness was in GREAT shape too LOL

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
I have led on everything in my truck. Except the front blinkers. They do not blink when I have the led bulbs in the front blinkers. Not sure why, other than maybe resistance, my wiring harness is only about a year old so im not sure

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Beware of the super cheap LEDs. This is how they fail due to heat. They eventually just burn out with only a few of the LEDs working. Oddly enough the one in this video has stopping flickering as badly but it's an interior light so it's not a life or death indicator light like a tail light or something. This is an 1156 equiv bulb.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THIS JUST HAPPENED TO ME!!!!! If I put them in correctly they only come on with the brake lights. No running lights.

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks,

I got LED
Reverse lights
Marker lights
Inner cab light

Wiring harness ain't the best, or worst. Mice free just dirty as all get out