Leaking windshield

Weldingman

Reaction score
Has anyone tried flowable silicon to stop their windshield from leaking? I got the cowl to firewall section all sealed up on my 85, the only stop it’s coming from now is the windshield. I called one guy to pull the windshield and replace the butyl seal and he had no clue what I was talking about. I think it might be difficult to find someone to do what I want and was wondering if the flowable silicon or any other products worked well on patching the old dried out sealant?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's impossible to find someone to mess with old windshields. I remember when the factory windshield cracked on my 86....(excuse me, I'm crying.....)... but I have an 86 bronco for parts and it has a perfect factory windshield in it. When I lay the dually up for long needed repairs that's one of the things I'm going to do, but I'm sure it'll be me and my son's not a glass company. My daughter has asked local glass companies about a windshield for her 88 Merc cougar, they stare at her like she's an alien. If I was going to be brave on your situation, maybe take a couple wood shims(like for cabinets or doors) and slide them between the glass and dash just enough to make a gap and then put the goo you discribed in there. But I think you're discribing the top, so I don't know. That's my thought.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The problem with trying to pull out and reseal a windshield is that even with a leak, the sealant is still really stuck most of the way around the windshield. It's VERY difficult to remove a windshield without cracking it.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pulled the trim off. Then cleaned all the way around the windshield using a wire brush and brake cleaner. Let that dry in the sun for a couple days. Then used lexel all around the perimeter. Completely filled in the gap, and smoothed the stuff down. I don't like the chrome trim, so I then just covered over it with gorilla tape.

I have zero leaks now. Thought I had a leak once, and then figured out that the truck had been parked facing steep downhill, and the water had somehow come in through the light at the top outside of the cab, for the bed area. Made it's way over the headliner, and down the windshield.

chicken bones

Docker
Reaction score
i had my window replaced because it was leaking , after that I was still getting water on the floor. found I also had a seam leak up on the gutters above the doors. They way to check this is to remove the inside visor, soap the seam them blow compressed air in the hole where the Visor came off , you will see lots of bubbles if its leaking. Once that was done I still had some water on the floor, removed the Cowl infront of the window , painted resealed all seams in the cowl area. Finally my truck does not leak. Good Luck, I have a1994 not sure if your older Truck has the same issues.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem with trying to pull out and reseal a windshield is that even with a leak, the sealant is still really stuck most of the way around the windshield. It's VERY difficult to remove a windshield without cracking it.
It's amazing how stuck they are. But I have to try. I like @Salahdoors idea, but I kinda want the trim.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two years ago I had my windshield replaced with a new one.
They are available.
I had the shop cut out the old one, tape it in place, drove home and then cleaned out the area it live`s in. POR`d everything after it got it down to bare metal.

Took it back to the glass shop and they installed a new one with dark tint at the top.
Used Fast Glass in Carson City, Nv.

Goat

Weldingman

Reaction score
I have a chip so I really wouldn’t mind if they changed the windshield entirely.

I’ll have to check that gutter now while I have the entire interior out of the truck

I’ll give safelite a call today and see what they say.

Maybe I’ll give this a try first tho.
Permatex 81730 Windshield and Glass Sealer

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They'll definitely put a new windshield in the trucks. That windshield, which usually has 1099 in the part number, is readily available. But it won't say "ford" or "carlite" on it or be from 1986, and I just want a factory windshield.

Weldingman

Reaction score
Found a local guy to take on the job … $305 with new windshield and installation. He said he would sand down any problem areas and re paint and call me if I needed to get in there and do any body work. He will pull the chrome trim off old windshield off and install new with urethane. I expressed my concerns about not having butyl and it cracking from flexing. They offer a lifetime warranty and said he’s done them before and never had a problem. I talked to him for a bit and he seemed quite knowledgeable about the older cars and seemed very confident it will be a non issue… we’ll hopefully it works out. I ordered all new clips for the trim hopefully this time next week I’ll have a water tight cab and it’ll be onto order some carpet.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found a local guy to take on the job … $305 with new windshield and installation. He said he would sand down any problem areas and re paint and call me if I needed to get in there and do any body work. He will pull the chrome trim off old windshield off and install new with urethane. I expressed my concerns about not having butyl and it cracking from flexing. They offer a lifetime warranty and said he’s done them before and never had a problem. I talked to him for a bit and he seemed quite knowledgeable about the older cars and seemed very confident it will be a non issue… we’ll hopefully it works out. I ordered all new clips for the trim hopefully this time next week I’ll have a water tight cab and it’ll be onto order some carpet.

You are aware there are two type clips for the trim?
There are 16 that go up both sides and across the top. Then 9 as I remember that go across the bottom, they are a longer type. The others are small and square.

I had to locate them as the shop was out of both styles.

I might have bought them from Bronco Grave Yard.

Did a search and found them.

If you drill holes to use the Pop Rivets, good idea to seal the holes or a rust issue or leak will start.
There are the little button thingys the clips attach to.

Goat

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online