Leaking Fuel Pickup

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So on my rear tanks, I can't seem to get the fuel sender/pickup to seal without leaking. It's simple, rubber ring then use the lock ring to hold it in place. Am I supposed to use glue? I have legit dropped the tank 8 or 9 times and it's still leaking. Why won't it seal?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need a new seal. The surfaces were the seal sits need to be free of rust and no pitting. The ears and the little ramps need to be in good shape so when you spin the lock ring it puts enough pressure on the seal. The last one I did, I had to get a kit with a new seal and a new lock ring.

I believe its Dorman 55812.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Some additional thoughts. (Ditto on new seal and ring.)

1) Make sure the tank surface, sending unit, and lock ring are flat. Thus applying equal pressure around the sending unit.
2) Lube the o-ring with o-ring lube. That way it will be more likely to seal, not tear, and spread out.
3) Confirm it is the o-ring and not the sending unit itself.
4) If you think the ring is not squeezing the o-ring enough can you bend the tabs to apply a little more pressure on the o-ring.

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The surface was spitting clean. Used a wire brush and had it cleaned good. Will order a new ring I guess, though it looks fine the one I have. Will also try bending the ring a but and using lube. Contemplating gasket sealer, not sure how the diesel harshness would be to it.

Currently have 10 gal in it, will burn through it then drop it and give an update.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
The surface was spitting clean. Used a wire brush and had it cleaned good. Will order a new ring I guess, though it looks fine the one I have. Will also try bending the ring a but and using lube. Contemplating gasket sealer, not sure how the diesel harshness would be to it.

Currently have 10 gal in it, will burn through it then drop it and give an update.
Do a visual and see if the metal ring already compresses the o-ring sufficiently, if so, no need to tweak it. For sealants do a google search.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered that particular part number for the ring because it had two different sizes in the kit. If you look it up, they ask you what size you want. I didn't know at the time, but that kit with the two different sizes did fit mine and it did seal. I was having the same problem as you, and you will be surprised how much thicker a new o-ring is.