Leaking Coolant

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O'Reilly's sells the Fleetcharge as well - just not many of the counter people seem to know about it. You may also have to have them order it out for you from another store. My local O'Reilly's does not stock it (yet) but one 30 mins up the road does.

Reaction score
+1 on Fleetcharge. O'Reilly carries it; they just don't know about it.

Seeing how your tacking everything else in the system, maybe this would be a good time to replace the thermostat as well? If so, the rule of thumb is to only use an OEM Motorcraft or International thermostat.

Mike

jim x 3

1988 F-350 DRW
Reaction score
O'Reilly's sells the Fleetcharge as well - just not many of the counter people seem to know about it. You may also have to have them order it out for you from another store. My local O'Reilly's does not stock it (yet) but one 30 mins up the road does.

+1 on Fleetcharge. O'Reilly carries it; they just don't know about it.

Seeing how your tacking everything else in the system, maybe this would be a good time to replace the thermostat as well? If so, the rule of thumb is to only use an OEM Motorcraft or International thermostat.

Mike

Thanks for the heads up on O'Reillys/Fleet Charge. I found the stuff by searching their web pages and printed out the page showing the local O'Reillys had it. When I asked for it in the store today I was again told they didn't have it. I showed them the printout and was told they don't have it but maybe they can order it. They checked in the back - no dice. I pointed out the part of the web page that showed that this particular O'Reillys store had it. They told me the computer said they didn't have any and asked if I had checked the shelves for it. I had previously but not today. We looked at the antifreeze shelving - No, not there. Then I was led to another part of the store with stuff like RTV and FormaGasket. And there it was, sitting on the shelf! So yes O'Reillys has it and yes, they have no clue that they do.

After filling with coolant and adjusting the belts I fired it up. And I have a leak off the oil pan - the same but different - no leak from the very front of the engine. Well, this is disconcerting. The leak was isolated to the Thermostat Outlet to upper hose connection. My 5/16 nut driver hit that hose clamp at an angle and I didn't get it tight enough. So it was an easy fix. The truck is now operational and ready for work tomorrow.

My thanks to all of you who provided info and assistance in this thread and many other threads related to coolant and the water pump.

And given this is Memorial Day, my thanks to all those who gave their lives so my family and I have the freedom and opportunities to live the lives we have.

Regards,

Reaction score
Glad to hear it all went well. Not terribly surprised re: your experience with O'Reilly. I worked for Kragen (now O'Reilly) all through high school and college and only learned about Fleet Charge when I bought this truck a year ago (and I graduated in 2005). I remember seeing it on the shelf in the commercial area, but had no clue what made it so special versus the other coolants. At least the employee helping you knows now, and hopefully he/she will remember it in the future! Sadly, that's about all the 'training' you ever receive at that place, but the same could be said for Autozone (worked there, too) or really any other automotive retail chain. Or any retail store. But I digress.......

Mike

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jim,

Napa has Fleetcharge with SCA arleady added. Flush out the green coolant a couple times by adding just distilled water and running the engine until it warms up, then drain until you get clear water. Then add the Fleetcharge (it is purple) 50/50 or a little stronger since you will have mostly distilled in the engine block. No need to search for SCA additives. You can test it with strips in a year or so to see if it needs any additional SCA. The SCA's wear out over time.

Archie

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you replaced the bottom radiater hose did it have a spring in it. hopefully it did. If not that botom hose may collaspe when running from the pump suction. Its very hard to know if it does collaspe. also tighten up the hose clamps after about 3 to 4 thousands miles. they do seem to loosen but its the new hoese crushing down. You wil learn the feel of a tight hose clamp soon. then its nothing to worry about. Glad you got it finished.

jim x 3

1988 F-350 DRW
Reaction score
If you replaced the bottom radiater hose did it have a spring in it. hopefully it did. If not that botom hose may collaspe when running from the pump suction. Its very hard to know if it does collaspe. .... Glad you got it finished.

ICAN: The new Gates lower hose #21405 came with a spring, just like my old, bloated hose.

Al,
...Now, with new components and pressurization, I'm sure to blow the next weakest link!

Well, I'm still leaking coolant. This time its coming from a hard rubber/plastic hose coming through the firewall just behind the AC evaporator. I'm guessing that's the evaporator condensate drain. So I suspect my heater core. No visible leaks in the passenger compartment. I have temporarily bypassed the heater core until I can dig into that portion of the cooling system. From the info I've found here, it looks to be a simple process.

Regards,