last shot with this truck, OIL STILL IN COOLANT

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A head gasket leak will send unburned diesel into the cooling system but then again you wont be loosing oil like you posted. Thats really not a lot of oil loss either. I suggest another set of eyes on both the front and rear header for nicks that can damage the o rings. I recall you replacing the oil cooler but how much was reused on the engine. the headers or the bundle? How are you installing the headers? Have you taken apart the oil coolers and found any damaged o rings or seen any cracks in the headers or nicks? How are you sticking the header gaskets to the block or the headers. Never attempt using RTV. When its wet it very slippery and WILL squeeze out a tiny gasket like the header gaskets.

it definitely isn't diesel, well I mean it could be but it does loose oil and my exhaust doesn't smell like im burning the oil... so im assuming the oil loss on the dipstick and the appearance of the grey mud in my coolant is gonna be oil. if it were something like headgaskets at this point id be excited id rather know what the problem is and fix it then play this guessing game. there were no major nicks or scoring on the inside of the aluminum ears(on both gasket and o ring sides), any corrosion that was on the o ring side was gently removed by hand with 1000 grit sand paper until it was a new looking surface again... on the tube part where the gaskets sit was also cleaned with sand paper and everything was generously greased before assembly.. gasket surfaces from the aluminum ears to the block were cleaned with a razor and all surfaces were clean and even.. no rtv was used at all for any of this. now as for installing the gaskets, I put bolts in diagonally (for example top left and bottom right) of each gasket on the header side.. and used that to line it up as I installed the other two ((which went in with ease showing no sign of binding or the gasket moving) and then checked before the finial tightening

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget the possibility of xmsn oil mixing with coolant in the rad. With the engine just burning some oil. Maybe not super likely, but seen it before. Think it was mentioned above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this might be a stupid question, but what is xmsn? if you mean trans fluid (guessing because that would be the only place for it to mix in the radiator) I know for a fact it isn't because I have two large trans coolers in the front and the lines don't go into the radiator at all.. plus the trans dipstick does not ever get low, I check the fluid condition often.

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry for making multiple responses I do not know how to combine quotes, and sorry for the delayed answers for some reason I am not getting the email notification I normally get from here. but I definitely appreciate all the input

and I forgot to add in one of those posts above that the condition of the original o rings was very hard and cracked looking. seemed like crappy plastic... where as the new ones were nice and rubbery like a o ring would be... when removing the first set of o rings I installed there were no obvious signs of cracks rips tears or anything that would throw a red flag of installer error... I mean I could have messed something up, but I looked under a magnifier light for a imperfection and could not point out any problems.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
sorry for making multiple responses I do not know how to combine quotes, and sorry for the delayed answers for some reason I am not getting the email notification I normally get from here. but I definitely appreciate all the input
Don't feel bad Neither do I LOL

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

and I forgot to add in one of those posts above that the condition of the original o rings was very hard and cracked looking. seemed like crappy plastic... where as the new ones were nice and rubbery like a o ring would be... when removing the first set of o rings I installed there were no obvious signs of cracks rips tears or anything that would throw a red flag of installer error... I mean I could have messed something up, but I looked under a magnifier light for a imperfection and could not point out any problems.

Don't feel bad Neither do I LOL

thats easy..bottom right of each post is a lil + sign to click on then goe to the next and so on. then choose yer final one with normal quote button...they all come into play in one big post

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The oil cooler thing would be very frustrating, but if your not testing them on a jig before installation, then its a shot in the dark.

Sounds like we're back to what Mel said... a good flushing after you put the other cooler on may have dislodged some shmutz that is now allowing it to leak internally.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats easy..bottom right of each post is a lil + sign to click on then goe to the next and so on. then choose yer final one with normal quote button...they all come into play in one big post

holy crapolie, thats whats thats for!!!
now i dont have to edit posts 50 million times ;Sweet

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
holy crapolie, thats whats thats for!!!
now i dont have to edit posts 50 million times ;Sweet

Yes...and here is the kicker...it's got a PLUS sign with Quotation mark....*****...and.And...AND if you hold yer mouse cursor over that spot it says...multi quote this message....buwa ha ha :rotflmao

You will need to go back and UNCLICK those PLUS signs once you complete your post or those multi quotes will...keep loading every freaking post you quote...just a small tip!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya learn something every day. Just hhope I don't forget how. Got half heimerzers, gettin pretty close to full. :D

I'm of no futher help, got me baffelled.

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like we're back to what Mel said... a good flushing after you put the other cooler on may have dislodged some shmutz that is now allowing it to leak internally.

well with that being said I will make something up and pressure test the original oil cooler go from there, if it passes im probably going to just park the truck until I get around to it unfortunately

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay dump question but are you using like a permatex gasket sealer on the gaskets? I build diesel tractor engines and i am a strong believer in it lol

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a detailed oil cooler thread on the oil cooler rebuild? I'm about to do mine and want to be sure do it right lol

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a detailed oil cooler thread on the oil cooler rebuild? I'm about to do mine and want to be sure do it right lol

In the tech articles and also do a search on it, there are a few different threads guys have done rebuilds and documented it.

There are many products for gasket install I swear by Permatex Aviation Form A Gasket! No RTV and gaskets...nope just the elephant snot as I referr to that permatex stuff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger