Lady Moose 2.0

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Congrats on the new found power Mel and Suzi. I've got a qusetion. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks, Carla's truck will be getting an ATS install. Is general concensus that a 2" body lift is "recommended" or just clearance the firewall? Her truck doesn't get used to haul stuff, but I've always been on the fence about body lifts and the gap to the frame. Of course she wants bigger tires too and it's cheaper than a suspension lift.:dunno

Tom

Hey Tom, a 1"lift was enought for me but still a little clearancing had to be done. The good thing is I didn't have to work the fan shroud either.
If'na ya do go body lift and do some hauling in the bed, make sure ALL of the bracing under the bed is supported. Don't ask me hoow I know that.:rolleyes:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll put it this way, I clearanced the thing to death and it still wasn't enough, so I got out the torch and set the carpet on fire. :eek: -cuss :puke: :idiot:

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Agnem said:
I'll put it this way, I clearanced the thing to death and it still wasn't enough, so I got out the torch and set the carpet on fire. :eek: -cuss :puke: :idiot:

That'll smell good for awhile.;Sweet

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well on to the next project new carpet forthe Lady Moose. :rotflmao

Dang that sucks Mel.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
OK I gotta ask where do you need to clearence and is there a difference between non turbo and factory turbo truck cabs. I can't beleive there is but I just can't wrap my head around where you need all this room?

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK I gotta ask where do you need to clearence and is there a difference between non turbo and factory turbo truck cabs. I can't beleive there is but I just can't wrap my head around where you need all this room?

Aric -- I think the side winder takes up more room than our factory turbos

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can only speak for the Hypermax which pretty much requires the drivers side up pipe to sit right on top of the trans, and come up between the firewall and the bell housing/trans junction. Take a look in there on a stock truck and you'll figure maybe there is enough room to stick your finger. cookoo In fact, you can't even really take a pictue of it. I threw a bonus in there, the proud owner of some "engine red belly". LOL

Attachments

• summercamp1 018.jpg
    summercamp1 018.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 30
  • summercamp1 019.jpg
    summercamp1 019.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 34

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can only speak for the Hypermax which pretty much requires the drivers side up pipe to sit right on top of the trans, and come up between the firewall and the bell housing/trans junction. Take a look in there on a stock truck and you'll figure maybe there is enough room to stick your finger. cookoo In fact, you can't even really take a pictue of it. I threw a bonus in there, the proud owner of some "engine red belly". LOL

oopps sorry thought you were using banks, the stock turbos down pipe can be put it with little to no effort.:dunno

Suzy is part of the shop crew for sure now ;Sweet

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah...because it is flattened out for that very purpose. Its strange. It seems like on some vehicles the downpipe clearance is nothing but a minor annoyance, but other folks seem to really have to fight it. Maybe each cab is just a hair different? A slight difference in body styles and/or transmission options? Who knows.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't remember having to fight too much with my pinch weld on my ATS setup. I cut the casting tab off the bellhousing, and cut the pinch weld in 2 places and folded it up with a big prybar. I suppose having the truck on a lift for the install helped too...

Ryan

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah...because it is flattened out for that very purpose. Its strange. It seems like on some vehicles the downpipe clearance is nothing but a minor annoyance, but other folks seem to really have to fight it. Maybe each cab is just a hair different? A slight difference in body styles and/or transmission options? Who knows.
saggy cab mounts are a major contributing factor-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
saggy cab mounts are a major contributing factor-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss

And how -cuss I fought like crazy trying to get my ATS mounted up before I broke down and got a set of poly cab mounts. I ended up putting some big honkin' fender washers on top of the new mounts to get an extra 1/8 " lift to get a little extra clearance for the oil fitting on top of the turbo.

After the maiden voyage pulling the 5er yesterday, it was all well worth the effort ;Sweet

-----Robert

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do think the cab mounts had a lot to do with it. I notice that the rubber on Lady Moose is soft enough, that when you brake firmly, the weight of the cab shifts it forward enough to hit the pipe again. I'm sure a set of bushings is in her future.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I thought for a min that I was in GGG... Setting the carpet on fire :rotflmao I about spit my coffee out.... that's funny... Boy Suzi would have beat you silly had you burnt it down completely...

Ok for starting the campfire this year I vote MEL....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online