King of The Hill

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think his point is that it would do it. It must may not do it as fast. The 80's F series frames were stronger than the ones today. Told to me by a guy at the Louisville truck plant.

So would a four banger ranger in low range, dont think the point is that it will do it but how well it does it. And sorry but i find the frame thing very hard to believe, they look like their made of tin foil.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
So would a four banger ranger in low range, dont think the point is that it will do it but how well it does it. And sorry but i find the frame thing very hard to believe, they look like their made of tin foil.

Are you talking about an 80's ford frame looking like it's made of tin foil??? Those things are heavy-**** steel! And they're American steel. Aren't all the new trucks getting cheap Chinese steel?? There is a quality quotient in there too man. I'll take American-made steel anyday over the Chinese crap...

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya, the rear section of my 84 is tiny. its not even a channel in the rear really, just has a tiny little lip on the bottom of very thin steel. looks like the same exact frame as my 97, not all that big. i think theres a reason the newer ones weigh more than the old ones and have a way higher weight rating. not sayin the old ones are junk, just that the new ones are probably stronger.

Last edited:

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
ya, the rear section of my 84 is tiny. its not even a channel in the rear really, just has a tiny little lip on the bottom of very thin steel. looks like the same exact frame as my 97, not all that big. i think theres a reason the newer ones weigh more than the old ones and have a way higher weight rating. not sayin the old ones are junk, just that the new ones are probably stronger.

How much more do they weigh? My 91 CC 4X4 weighs around 7500 pounds empty. I doubt an equivalent new one weighs much more.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I will agree w Oregon on this one.
My 86 f250 reg cab 4wd 6.9 4 speed weighs in at 6400lbs
My buddys 97 F250 reg cab 4wd small block 5 speed weighs in at just under 7000.
The 90s trucks are definatly built heavier than the 80s trucks, no doubt about it.

then the Superdutys are even heavier
This is my brothers 05 f350 Crewcab 6.0 auto it weighs in at 9100lbs
Yes i realize it has front are rear ranchhand bumpers but they dont weigh 1500lbs more than the stock ones

Attachments

• 0612112000.jpg
    0612112000.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 6

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YES.

Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Class B -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

What i dont understand is that means you supposedly cant hook to any open trailer rated above 10k? :dunno

japar

Reaction score
I really don't know if my old 83 F-350 with over 400K bone stock could even pull one of those 19.000 lbs trailers up the Colorado moutain , but I know
for sure if I was following one of those big 3 lastest and greatest pickup trucks up the moutain and for some strange reason that 50K 8000 lbs truck broke down "it cound happen" I could hook up a chain put my T-19 in 1st and with my 4:10 rear tow that truck up and over the mountain to the next dealership for repaires

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
What i dont understand is that means you supposedly cant hook to any open trailer rated above 10k? :dunno

Yes and no.
By the definition i posted, YES you can.
But buy the law NO, you can NOT tow a trailer more than 10k with out a class A CDL. Which means there are ALOT of illegal people out there. That is the reason my trailer is rated at 9,999lbs. so you can tow it with OUT a CDL. but it really doesn't matter to me since i have an A license

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
Well, they're definitely heavier then. But I can bet that a lot of that weight comes from all the (from lightest to heaviest in my mind) extra electronics for computers, stereo, airbags, heavier door panels, and then finally all the oversized body panels. Those newer superduty's have a bunch more sheetmetal on them than our old trucks. I don't think it's the frames as much as it is the extra sheetmetal and then the extra steel for rollover crashes and whatnot.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Well, they're definitely heavier then. But I can bet that a lot of that weight comes from all the (from lightest to heaviest in my mind) extra electronics for computers, stereo, airbags, heavier door panels, and then finally all the oversized body panels. Those newer superduty's have a bunch more sheetmetal on them than our old trucks. I don't think it's the frames as much as it is the extra sheetmetal and then the extra steel for rollover crashes and whatnot.

Take a look at a SD frame. They are close to twice as thick as a 80/90s truck frame

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I think his point is that it would do it. It must may not do it as fast. The 80's F series frames were stronger than the ones today. Told to me by a guy at the Louisville truck plant.

True The frames under our trucks are tougher than the iron in the gates of hell. But the BEST frame Ford EVER built was under a Louisville....called it a "drop frame"....it's waht's under my old Lousiville. 1973 frame, STILL has all the ORIGINAL rivets in it :D built Ford tough!

I really don't know if my old 83 F-350 with over 400K bone stock could even pull one of those 19.000 lbs trailers up the Colorado moutain , but I know
for sure if I was following one of those big 3 lastest and greatest pickup trucks up the moutain and for some strange reason that 50K 8000 lbs truck broke down "it cound happen" I could hook up a chain put my T-19 in 1st and with my 4:10 rear tow that truck up and over the mountain to the next dealership for repaires

As a professional driver, I can tell you this. Getting UP the hiss is NOT the problem. You have enough power to haul an appropriate sized load up that with your pickup and trailer. The problem exists when going downhill. People let their speed get up too much, and try to nail the brakes. It's like trying to stop on ice....you won't. Even with that exhaust brake, you won't have enough braking power to stop if you let your speed creep up.

General rule of thumb. When transversing a downhill grade, go down itn in the SAME gear toy would climb UP it loaded. If you come up in third, go DOWN in it third with the same load on. I have NEVER had that rule come back and bite me yet. ;Sweet

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Whenever im driving any of my old diesels I always say to myself..."im never the first to the top of the hill but I always make it to the top".

FordGuy100

Reaction score
True The frames under our trucks are tougher than the iron in the gates of hell. But the BEST frame Ford EVER built was under a Louisville....called it a "drop frame"....it's waht's under my old Lousiville. 1973 frame, STILL has all the ORIGINAL rivets in it :D built Ford tough!

As a professional driver, I can tell you this. Getting UP the hiss is NOT the problem. You have enough power to haul an appropriate sized load up that with your pickup and trailer. The problem exists when going downhill. People let their speed get up too much, and try to nail the brakes. It's like trying to stop on ice....you won't. Even with that exhaust brake, you won't have enough braking power to stop if you let your speed creep up.

General rule of thumb. When transversing a downhill grade, go down itn in the SAME gear toy would climb UP it loaded. If you come up in third, go DOWN in it third with the same load on. I have NEVER had that rule come back and bite me yet. ;Sweet

There is no sound like going down a couple mile 6% grade hauling a 5K trailer in 3rd. Just enough slope to keep rpm's up, and just enough compression to keep from accelerating. Pure 55-60mph 3000rpm ish rasping IDI. Sounds so good ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online