King of The Hill

japar

Reaction score
Stupid Diesel Power Magizine did some King of The Hill test with these new diesel dually pickup trucks. Are these really pickup trucks with stock 400 hp, 800 ft lbs of torque , exhaust brakes and towing trailers 19,000 lbs + up mountains sounds to me like a class 8 truck. Little do they know Trailer Boats Magizine did a tow test in the early 80's with the 6.9 vs the old Chebby 6.2. The 6.9 which was in a 83 Ford F-350 dually was the clear winner and out classed the 6.2 Chebby in both acceleration and brakeing.Yes the 6.9 was and will always be the original King of The Hill in my mine. They were towing a 6,000 lbs 25' boat in Florida. I bet if given more time they would have found a mountain and towed that boat right up the mountain. If I recall Florida is kinda flat. Just think you now need a class A license when driving one of these so called trucks towing 10 tons. Yes you too can spend 50 grand on a new truck and your excise tax will be more than I paid for my 6.9 dually. I would love to drive my old 6.9 dually out to Colorado when they do next year King of The Hill test just to show the editer of Diesel Power Magazine who the Real King of The Hill is. http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/1109dp_king_of_the_hill_testing_video/index.html

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
Sorry but i quit listening when the guy said " this looks like a torque war but it takes 400 HP not 800 flbs of tq to win a test like this" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I guess my friend and his 09 Peaterbuilt better pull out that 350 HP Cat and drop in a 400 HP caddy 500 :rolleyes:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
That idiot talks like the C channel frame in the Ford is a bad thing, I guess he hasn't looked under too many semi trucks, I've never driven one with a box frame cookoo

I love how they use a trailer with the easiest to haul load possible. There may be 19.5k trailers there, but down that low they would feel like about 12. If they really wanted to test the things, thy would hook them up to some trailers with some high frontal area that would give some wind resistance and make the things work. I could hook up to one of those trailers and boogie with my truck and it's not setup particularly hot, heck, my carhauler only weighs about 5k less loaded with an average light car in it, and I seem to manage just fine without an exhaust brake. Where do they come up with this crap... pickups for pansies ?

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
...and we’re enduring the highest diesel fuel prices ever seen.
^^Off their site^^
Pardon me, but in the summer of 08 fuel was $2.00 more per gallon than it is now.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
That idiot talks like the C channel frame in the Ford is a bad thing, I guess he hasn't looked under too many semi trucks, I've never driven one with a box frame cookoo

Boxed frames are great, look at how fast they rust out from trapping water and salt... O wait...:rotflmao

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Boxed frames are great, look at how fast they rust out from trapping water and salt... O wait...:rotflmao
Hush now... you aren't supposed to notice a bunch of mud and crud built up eating it's way through a box frame, you're supposed to just nod your head and agree with the guy because he's in a magazine so he must be smart :rolleyes:

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Kinda a moot point comparing a 83 6.9 to 2011 6.7.
in 83 minimum wage was $3.35 so yeah your 83 truck I would hope to be cheaper than a 2011 truck.

An if you think your 170hp truck can compete with a 400hp truck, what are you smoking, cuz I want some too

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think his point is that it would do it. It must may not do it as fast. The 80's F series frames were stronger than the ones today. Told to me by a guy at the Louisville truck plant.

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are they serious about having to have a class A to drive one with that much wieght? Or rather, is that right?

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
^^ As long as the listed Gross weight of the vehicle is 26000 lbs or less, you don't need anything other than a Class C.

Did you guys see the American Top Gear where they tested all the big 3 trucks? The Ford was awesome... Tanner had that Ford dually with the 6.7 literally pulling cookies around the other guys non-stop for over 30 seconds. Then it started pulling some train. Granted, the train is obviously on tracks, but it weighs some ungodly amount like 200+ tons or something. I liked the Ford the best, needless to say. :)

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Are they serious about having to have a class A to drive one with that much wieght? Or rather, is that right?

YES.

Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Class B -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
YES.

Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Class B -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

Only exception being if it's an RV, then you can be a blind retired accountant who has never driven anything larger than a Buick your entire life, but you can hop into that same pickup and hookup to a 40 ft 5er with tripple slide out rooms that out weighs those gooseneck jobs by a bunch, and not need anything but a regular car drivers license .

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Only exception being if it's an RV, then you can be a blind retired accountant who has never driven anything larger than a Buick your entire life, but you can hop into that same pickup and hookup to a 40 ft 5er with tripple slide out rooms that out weighs those gooseneck jobs by a bunch, and not need anything but a regular car drivers license .

Correct:rotflmao I still get a kick out of that RV clause

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online