KING BOLT INSTALLATION

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done a kingbolt set install by themselves? How hard are they to do? i hear they really suck because of the old bolts being so tough to get out. im gonna buy a set from lmc today. a shop quoted me $300 to install them. so im debating on weather or not i want to mess with it

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
The ones on the '84 I had were a real bear. Took a 40-ton press to get the old pins out, after several rounds of heating and beating.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Technically 2wd trucks have king pins and 4wd dana 60 trucks have a trunnion bearing/ cone pins.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its relevant when your talking to a spring shop who is going to do the work for you! I took the Iron Moose axles up to Buds Spring Service in Lancaster and let them do the king pins. They are way too much of a PITA to mess with. It's something you will likely only do once on your truck, and not a skill you really need to learn in my opinion. It does take special tools to do right.

helidiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see. I'm learning theses trucks so all info helps me. My instructor thought me a few tricks that make life ez for king pins on heavy duty over the road trucks. Idk if this set is the same or not. And one thing I would like to add is that harden metal becomes soft metal after multiple heat cycles the metal was not designed to with stand. That's how axel ends get bent. Heat and a big F hammer

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
I did the king pins on my '86 F 250 2WD shortly after I bought it ( and it passed a used motor vehicle inspection!). They were frozen, and the steering would not return from a turn; you had to manually re-center the steering wheel. I removed the locks, and the top cap, and filled the little depression there with WD 40. I also disconnected the tie rod ends so I could more easily move the wheels around and get some clearance. I used an air hammer with a blunt driver, and hearing protection, and just held it on the top of the KP, and let 'er rip. Eventually, I noticed the wheel had rotated, and was in my way, so I moved it back out. A little later the wheel was back in my way--an indication that something was happening. Eventually the KP began to move out. I wore out a brake wheel cylinder hone on the job, too.
More more bull work than finesse work.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
I see. I'm learning theses trucks so all info helps me. My instructor thought me a few tricks that make life ez for king pins on heavy duty over the road trucks. Idk if this set is the same or not. And one thing I would like to add is that harden metal becomes soft metal after multiple heat cycles the metal was not designed to with stand. That's how axel ends get bent. Heat and a big F hammer

I agree that heat can be bad on hardened parts, but the driver side had completely frozen up and I was desperate. It was a 2wd and if I ever own another kingpin truck I would probably just get a junkyard axle instead.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can get it apart, you still need to find a shop that can ream the new bushings for you. After you press them in the spindle they shrink, and the new pin will not fit. This is the way they are set up, so the shop can ream the bushings for an exact fit, and the reamer also aligns the two bushings perfectly during the operation. The fit between the pin and the bushings should be just right.

helidiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that heat can be bad on hardened parts, but the driver side had completely frozen up and I was desperate. It was a 2wd and if I ever own another kingpin truck I would probably just get a junkyard axle instead.

I agree with both of your statements. Sometimes you have to do whatever Otis to get the job done sir. And a junk yard axle swap sounds a lot ezer than an air hammer lol.

I was thought to do this. Take note I have not done this on a ford IDI.
FIRST- try and drive the pin down (if it's a king pin not bolt type I guess) with a very large punch with a handle welded to it so your buddies arms and hands don't get beat up by the sledge hammer you are swinging.
SECOND- if at any time the pin locks up its time to stop it's biding on something.
NEXT- take a bottle jack and place it directly under the pin. Lower the truck onto the bottle jack with the weight of the truck on the bottom of the pin.
NEXT TO LAST-beat the side of the axel until things start to move then repeat if you are lucky she will come out!!!
LAST- if that does not work and costumer approves brake out the heat and beer and hope you do not damage the axle.

To the OP. If it was me and you have the tools on hand I would give it ago. If you use the truck for work and need it back ASAP. The 300$ might be worth it.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Around here they are no problem, done many, in the rust states they can be a real pain. The absolute best way to fit the new bushings is with a rod hone machine, DO NOT use the nylon bushing kit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online