Key does nothing replaced bad ignition switch which was necassary but wasn't only problem.!

Brandon Crislip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently bought an 89 f250, and have replaced the ignition switch that was bad... yet still the key does nothing... i can feel it shifting now in the different positions like it should but still no buzzer, no power windows nothing related to key.... power locks and headlights do work and truck will attempt to crank when starter solenoid is grounded...

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you replaced the ignition switch down on the column or you replaced the key/tumbler?

If your key is turning properly and you know the switch down on the column is good I'd suspect the actuator in the column that breaks routinely.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you getting power to the FSS?

Have you checked ALL fuses, including underhood? Checked fusible links?

Brandon Crislip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have not checked fuses... I was gonna take wheel off and replace actuator but I can see it moving and I can feel ignition switch moving into each appropriate position. To get the truck here when I bought it and when I test drive our a couple, of weeks ago he started it by putting in a fuse and touching the solenoid together but I have not been able to successfully start it that way. I think I am not getting power somewhere because it turns over ceaselessly but does not fire

Brandon Crislip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Online the most similar posts I have seen was someone having the same issues with the headlights and locks working but nothing else involving the key and he said it was a fuse able link relay so I'm thinking that maybe it? But just because I see it moving and feel clicking does that mean the actuator is okay? Or should I dig into the wheel?

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
To get the truck here when I bought it and when I test drive our a couple, of weeks ago he started it by putting in a fuse and touching the solenoid together but I have not been able to successfully start it that way. I think I am not getting power somewhere because it turns over ceaselessly but does not fire

As far as the wiring, pull the plug from the ign switch, see if you are getting 2 constant power sources at it.

Give 'er an ether shot and crank via solenoid.
Let us know what happens.