Kentucky Road trip......

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Hmmm air bags are going to cost me though.... a pretty penny at that.......... sooooo we'll see what my funding situation looks like here soon...... it's not hauling like that everyday so i'm not too worried bout it yet.....

I havent looked in a while, but it should be much more than $200 for airbags.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Hmmm air bags are going to cost me though.... a pretty penny at that.......... sooooo we'll see what my funding situation looks like here soon...... it's not hauling like that everyday so i'm not too worried bout it yet.....

Here's a ride rite kit with the good firestone airbags on evilbay for $245 You'd be hard pressed to beat that with springs once you bought all the bits and pieces and the airbags would involve a lot less creative language to install unless you access to big jacks, bigger jackstands and even bigger air tools ( I own an IR 1" drive pistol grip impact , there's nothing I can't get off, but I still don't get thrilled over heavy spring work ).

You can always get fancy with the onboard compressors later, the elcheapo emergency tire inflators are plenty to air the things up

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah, the ride rit kit is what my parents have on there 08 F350. It helps out a lot when there is a load on it.

Here are some pics.

This is with the stock truck.

You must be registered for see images attach

The truck with the camper on and the air bags

The truck with the camper on and the air bags during a snow storn with 1' of snow on it. I ended up having to get on that thing 3 times to get off 1' of snow each time, we were scared the roof was going to cave in.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about air shocks? You know, the ones with the fat outside shell, and an air bag between the shell and the body? Gabriel has the Hi-Jakers #49241 for a 4x4 F250, and #49214 for a 2wd, would a pair of these be a good idea for a truck that every now and then sees some heavy load? Probably won't work on Sam's truck cause of her lift, but for a non-lifted truck? They're supposed to add 1000 lbs capacity to the rear springs. And a slight thread-jack - for my 2wd F350, which F250 shocks would work out better, seeing how it has a pretty high ride as is, maybe the 4x4-specific ones?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
What about air shocks? You know, the ones with the fat outside shell, and an air bag between the shell and the body? Gabriel has the Hi-Jakers #49241 for a 4x4 F250, and #49214 for a 2wd, would a pair of these be a good idea for a truck that every now and then sees some heavy load? Probably won't work on Sam's truck cause of her lift, but for a non-lifted truck? They're supposed to add 1000 lbs capacity to the rear springs. And a slight thread-jack - for my 2wd F350, which F250 shocks would work out better, seeing how it has a pretty high ride as is, maybe the 4x4-specific ones?

They may add 1000 pounds capacity to the shocks..... but unfortunately, they don't add 1000 pounds capacity to the shock mounts :bail :fan: -cuss

Air shocks are ok for the occasional mild load, but that's about it, the other drawback is that shock wise, they stink too , so you make some major trade offs for something that really doesn't work that great to begin with. By the time you pay about $110 +for a pair of the things.....

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's kinda what I figured, that the shock mounts won't be up to the task. But the price is kinda high, AutoZone has them for like $60 a pair, with the air lines and all.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score

Shocks are meant to control the motion of the suspension and springs are meant to handle the load. Air shocks really don't do either one very well. Bags work much better. I'm adding a pair to my front, to help with the extra weight of the IH, and the kit was $80. Rear bags cost more, but they have to handle more weight.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
That's kinda what I figured, that the shock mounts won't be up to the task. But the price is kinda high, AutoZone has them for like $60 a pair, with the air lines and all.

I can't see how you could be getting much of anything, shock wise, to put under a truck for $30 each.

When I get to feeling rich I'm getting some airbags on mine. Right now I have some poor mans Timbrins on there , Made by Moneroe that I got in a lot deal from a parts store that was going out of business I think they cost me about $12-15 or something like that. I figured For that much I couldn't go too far wrong. They hold the load, but don't do anything for the ride.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I can't really imagine them doing much work as far as shock absorption goes, but then again there's KYBs which when installed in a fullsize Ford car (think interceptors) work a whole lot better than the Monroes that are more than double the price and that work, well quite frankly, like ****. But I guess it does depend on the vehicle... Anyhow, I was just saying that if you pay over $100 for air shocks you're way overpaying.

Doug, how you gonna install those bags in the front? Inside the coils? Cause there ain't much place else you can put them... Also why not swap the coils to a pair designed for a 6.2 dually, those are some heavy engines as well so springs may be just fine for the IHC.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doug, how you gonna install those bags in the front? Inside the coils? Cause there ain't much place else you can put them... Also why not swap the coils to a pair designed for a 6.2 dually, those are some heavy engines as well so springs may be just fine for the IHC.
6.2/6.5's aren't that heavy at all. in fact they're the lightest compared to all the light truck diesels.(4.3's and 5.7's don't count). on a GM 2wd front spring, there's plenty of room to install a "Air lift" insert inside the coil.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I meant, lotsa space inside the coils, near zero place anywhere else - I'm pretty familiar with the older GM trucks, had one of them myself till not too long ago. Didn't know about the light diesels tho, so how much heavier the IHC is? 200-250 lbs?

rip van sparky

Reaction score
OMG none has mentioned the obvious........................

I think I'm in love...........................

again.........................................................

and I don't even know her name....................................

WHOA!!!!!!!!!!! back to reality, sorry folks

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score

Yes, they go inside the coils. Pretty easy to do. I figure the IH is about 3-400lbs heavier.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I've got air bags on both of my 250's (just got the ones on the 93 on Sun), and Timbrens on my 150. The air bags are preferred, hands down.

A couple of tips.

Do NOT connect the bags air lines together. You want the air supply seperate to each bag. When Your loaded, you dont want the air transfering from one bag to the other when cornering.

I keep with the KISS philosphy. I don't run the fill lines to the rear bumper. I just drill a hole in the bed weld seam in the wheel well. That makes the fill lines about 8". Compared to 4'-5' ft to reach the rear bumper.