Ken's Head Stud Torque

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
In about a week or so I will be assembling my 7.3 motor and I don't remember the torque for my DPS (Kens) studs. I know they will break if I use more than 270,000 psi on them. :rotflmao You guys know that much will pull the threads out of the block.... ;Really I wont be going that high for sure. I don't have a torque wrench in the 2 inch drive size. At work I have used a 4 inch drive that required 6 BIG men to handle. We had 2 guys on each sides of the wrench, 1 guy on the 2 inch air line and 1 guy in the 30 ton crane. We called it the widow maker for good reason. We all hated using it because EVERYBODY had to act as a team or someone would get hurt. Anyway I need the stud torque if anybody has it. Otherwise its an email to Ken but I know thats a long wait for an answer. Thanks guys....

Rawpower

'Froading Freak
Reaction score
He told me to go stock... or are you talking about putting the studs in the block?

Edit: The best way to install them btw is to set the head on the block and then thread in the studs.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should be 100 foot pounds. The best thing about Ken's studs is they will hold the head and not stretch like the factory bolts do. It's not the torque so much as their ability to hold it.

Rawpower

'Froading Freak
Reaction score
My torque was on wet threads too, I didnt know better then. I used anti sieze, and I routinely check them for any loosened nuts.

dbarilow

over worked
Reaction score
Not to Hijack the thread but I've always oiled head bolts with 10W when putting them in would antisieze work better or should they go in dry

Rawpower

'Froading Freak
Reaction score
If you want it to stay in there Antisieze would work better, I would use that over oil. Also, the torque ratings are all dry ratings, not wet.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rawpower said:
Also, the torque ratings are all dry ratings, not wet.

I believe you have that backwards. The service manual specifically states that the threads, and bolt shoulder and washer should be oiled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vinceslamer

Members online