Keeping truck for the long haul: What parts?

oregon101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 93 crew cab I just bought is going to hopefully stay with us for the next 15-20 years. That being the case what parts would you stock up on to make sure you have them available as supply dwindles? I have an 89 extra cab that if push came to shove I could rob for parts. This is what I was thinking so far: spare block/engine, injection pump, injectors and hard fuel lines. Since many parts will interchange with gas trucks I figure things like driveline parts will not be as critical. Any more suggestions? Just trying to plan for the future!:dunno

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Gotta be careful about storing IP's though, ithink over time they can "dry" out in the air and seals will fail. I would throw one or two into a bucket if diesel, same with a set or two of injectors.

For the most part a gasser truck will give you most everything except the motor and tranny, but will give you the rest of the truck.

Glow plugs are a good idea, I van see the price of them sky rocketing. A complete motor is a good idea as well.

For the most part I don't think we will have to worry to much about parts, but then who knows.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Gotta be careful about storing IP's though, ithink over time they can "dry" out in the air and seals will fail. I would throw one or two into a bucket if diesel, same with a set or two of injectors.

For the most part a gasser truck will give you most everything except the motor and tranny, but will give you the rest of the truck.

Glow plugs are a good idea, I van see the price of them sky rocketing. A complete motor is a good idea as well.

For the most part I don't think we will have to worry to much about parts, but then who knows.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Truck specific tools as well are a good idea. Like timing meters, compression tester, SCA strips, ect

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
At the present time the only parts we can't buy new are the 6.9 & 7.3 blocks. We can buy new offshore heads for the 7.3 but nothing for the 6.9. The early auto flexplates are not longer made for these motors. Thats the heavy cast iron wheel with the thin stamped steel flexplate. For no good reason I have the last thin flexplate that Ford had....:dunnocookoo Otherwise these trucks are still in fashon and plenty of parts are still available plus... Lost of engine parts cross between both the 6.9 and the 7.3 blocks. The crank, cam, rods, gears, oil pump and most all of the internal parts are exactlly the same part. Only the pistons and turbo rods are differasnt. That helps us plenty too. All the sheet metal and intake along with exhaust manifolds are the same just as long as your talking trucks... The vans are differant only on the drivers side exhaust manifold.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vacuum and fuel pumps are easily replaced with something else, so I wouldn't worry about them too much, unless your really concerned with keeping it original. Same with the power steering pump. A spare water pump or two would be cheap insurance. A full gasket set. The IP will be around a long time. Too many different motors use them, or variations of them to be endagnered species. Same with injectors and glow plugs. Starters can be rebuilt... :dunno

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking instead you could convert to hydroboost. There are electric vacuum pumps out there, as well as other mechanical vacuum pumps that could be adapted. I'm not saying it would be a direct replacement, but any belt driven accesory problem could be overcome with some improvising.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Running the hydroboost brakes will take the need off the vacuum pump. All it will do then is supply vacuum to the heater doors and the cruise controll. If you have a C6 trans it will use some vacuum too. A psd vacuum pump is electric and will handle all the vacuum load when you run the hydroboost brakes. It can't handle the vacuum for the usual brakes systems.