Just purchased F250 6.9

Baytonia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha Guys,

My name is Baytonia.
I am brand new to the site, lots of great info. Where do I begin??? I thought I was getting a awesome deal. I got a 83 F250 6.9, 4 speed in the floor been sitting 2 years, paid $600.00 and then found out the motor was full of water, and it was locked up. I was suppose to give $850.00 but since it was frozen we agreed the deposit of $600.00 would do. I feel I can get close to that in scrap fee but I really want to save this truck. I like the flat bed, a lot of work put in it, it also has a fifth wheel. I felt stupid at first but what happen was the hood leaked water on top of the air cleaner, then it ran into the engine. I could see the water in the manifold. I wonder if I drained the water could I do the old transmission fluid trick that we used to do on the CSB's back in the day, but probably not on this diesel motor. The good news is I found a 7.3 1989 model for $750.00 and they will pull it once I see it run, I am suppose to go see tomorrow. My question is should I swap the engines? should I scrap it? Or try to sell as is? I will have $1350.00 in it, not counting all the service parts and oils needed. Attached are some shots of the truck. Any advice would be welcome no matter how harsh.

You must be registered for see images attach

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
welcome to the site, with the 7.3 i would verify if the coolant had the propler sca amount before buying it, you wouldnt want to buy it and then a monthe down the road a cylinder wall cavitates out, but if that is good then i would do the swap and then do a rebuild on the 6.9l and have it for a back up or even sell it and get some of your money back, i would keep the truck, they are very relibale once they are running, and if the cylinders are rusted up you might be able to save the 6.9, take the heads off and look and see how bad the damage is

Baytonia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I was feeling the same. The guy fired the motor up over the phone and said it didn't smoke. It sounded good, ill see tomorrow. I would like to put some dual rims on the back.

Baytonia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
83ford,

When do you expect to have your swap complete? I would like to hear how it went. I have questions like do you pull eng and trans together? Do you remove any panels other than the hood?

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Don't scrap the 6.9. The water problem is common for these trucks, but unless it locked up while running, it may be salvageable, perhaps even run again. These engines are pretty forgiving. Pull out the glow plugs and crank out the water by hand. If it is rusty, you may have more problems. Otherwise, continue. Once the water is out, put a little WD-40 or other water displacement solvent in the GP holes and turn over again by hand. Next, crank with the starter to get rid of most of the debris and moisture, then reinstall the GPs and try starting it up.

Baytonia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does any know off hand the size of the crank bolt and the length of the extension to place on the breaker bar I should get in order to turn the engine by hand? I will use my mini vac for bleeding brakes the hose will fit right into the glowplug hole I can already picture it.

Baytonia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me ask this. Since the water went in through the air cleaner and when I remove the air cleaner I could see it does if make sense to remove the screen over the intake and start sucking there down in the intake? I might have a hose small enough to fit through the screen holes I can't remember how large the openings are my mini vac hose is small in diameter.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your crank bolt is 15/16" skip the hand vac and pull all the glow plugs. you are wasting time with the hand vac.
bar over the motor with the GP's removed and see if it will unlock. it doesn't get any simpler than that.

jlwoods99

Reaction score
Nice lookin truck from the pics and I'd say a good value/ find. I can't add anything, lots of good advice here and good luck.

jim

Baytonia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got back from checking out the 7.3, it fired right up and ran like a dream. No smoke sounded gooood... The deal was made, deposit left, and should be pulled by the weekend. Tomorrow I will check the 6.9 to see if I can break it loose.
If I must pull the 6.9 what is the best way to remove the engine? Pull with trans, drop trans then pull? I have a car lift, and will use my forklift to pull the motor straight up when it clears the firewall. Never pulled a diesel before. Do you just remove the hood?