Just purchased F250 6.9

Baytonia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the 7.3 today

You must be registered for see images attach
Once again thanks for the advice.... I picked up the 7.3 today, came out of a 89 F250 with 86K miles. Cost $700.00 complete motor minus alternator, they did a good job disconnecting everything. I want to place it on an engine stand, this thing is a beast, does anyone have any plans for building a engine stand? or who sells a good one? Hopefully the 6.9 will run ok. This is what has been done so far, after draining the pan all night, I placed 5 gal of diesel in it to soak, WD40 in GP holes, tonight marvel mystery oil in the GP holes, I will turn the crank a 1/4 turn in the AM. I tested the GP's with my small lawnmower batt. 3 of the GP's did not heat up. I am hoping that was the original problem which was cranking but no start. I also poured a quart of trans fluid in the intake to soak. This will be very interesting to see the outcome. 2 weeks ago I could have cared less about a diesel truck, now look at me. I feel like a kid 2 days before Christmas wanting to open the packages now. I want to give this engine every chance to run right the first start. One good thing is I have the 7.3 as a back up. I have attached the pic of it. I see what looks like the rear main is slightly leaking, so I want to re-gasket the entire motor, including the head gasket. But first I need an engine stand.

Last edited:

Baytonia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks...... Looks like this will be the easiest way to go. I will go to HF in the morning and see if it is on the floor.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was mentioned in one of the posts before, but I will mention it again. Before you button up this thing for it's first trial run, make sure to crank it over with the starter BEFORE INSTALLING THE GLOWPLUGS. When the piston goes to the top of the cylinder on these engines, there is very little room up there. You do not want liquids of any kind on top of the pistons when you go to start it with the engine sealed up.

Baytonia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it. Thanks for the reminder. I just finished cranking it another 1/4 turn for tonight. Two more 1/4 turns to go so by Monday will be able to use the starter to blow it all out. I'm thinking about all that fluid flying out. But really the bulk of it is the 5 gal of diesel in the pan and ill drain it out. But that quart + in the intake will fly and the squarts in the GP holes you got to love it.

Baytonia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Making progress

Got the engine stand today. Got lucky HF had only one on hand, rated at 2K, I think the motor is under 1K. I also checked out my compression test kit, the smallest adaptor fits the GP opening perfect. The only problem I see is the adaptor is tall, some of the injector lines maybe in the way, ill see when its time.
Now I got to figure out the bolts I need to mount the motor on the stand, I know grade 8, need to determine the length and thread.

Attachments

• Compressor Test Set.jpg
    Compressor Test Set.jpg
    600.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 2K engine stand.jpg
    2K engine stand.jpg
    641.4 KB · Views: 10

idijack

Reaction score
the bolts are 1/2 corse thead I wouldn't mess with the head gaskets just do a compression check

Baytonia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7.3 mounted on stand

Had a chance to mount the 7.3 on the stand today. Looked her over and really didn't look too bad. You can see where the rear main is starting to leak and the valve covers. Now ill take my time clean it, drop the pan, new oil pump ect. I turned the 6.9 a 1/4 turn this morning, also turned the key and the wait light came on ok, heard the click, connected my test light to one of the GP harness pig tail and it light up. So I know I have power through the system. I should check all the GP connectors to make sure they are hot, I will. I hope the 6.9 runs ok, and I don't have to swap motors, well see.

Baytonia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idijack, now that im looking at the pic the heads are not leaking, I agree with you. Thanks about the bolts, I put grade 8 on top and 5 on bottom. This beast is HEAVY!!!!

rlb245

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would use grade 8 all the way round in case I might want to roll it a little

Baytonia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GP relay missing wire and Hood leaking water

Well I made my quarter turn of the engine this evening, I have one more turn left tomorrow evening and the motor will be positioned in the spot I started. The motor is turning much easier now as it should.
I have 2 questions tonight, I will attach pic to back up the questions. First question, I need to stop the water from leaking in the eng compartment after you look at the pic of the fire wall it looks like a seal was once there does this seal stop the water intrusion? And the hood has some attachment holes in it, what should go there and could it be the cause of the leak or both?
Second, the GP relay does not have the small wire attached that is closes to the engine, I think that one is the ground, but how could the engine have run like this? I was told truck ran fine then one day cranks but wont start. The wait light comes on and I hear a click when I turn the key, and have power to atleast one GP at the harness that I checked, see pic. I then looked real close and found the wire taped up along side the wiring harness, I took pic of it. Now I need to know what should I do next, the GP are all out at this time, but I need some instruction on how to check the system without the GP's in place and not being able to crank the motor just turn the key on. It looks like someone rigged it to start but I don't know if it should be redone or left alone if it is working? That's all for tonight.

Attachments

• Glow plug Relay.jpg
    Glow plug Relay.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Relay wire.jpg
    Relay wire.jpg
    623.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Hood.jpg
    Hood.jpg
    514.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Firewall.jpg
    Firewall.jpg
    744.9 KB · Views: 31

Baytonia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wrong Relay Pic

Sorry the last pic #4 of the relay showing complete wiring is the wrong pic. Here is the one I meant to post.

Attachments

• Relay wire.jpg
    Relay wire.jpg
    623.2 KB · Views: 131