Just go for a 4" lift kit.

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after installing my new 2" lifted front springs & 2" drop brackets for my 87 6.9 IDI single cab to level the truck it appears we have a problem. Being that the rear was 3.5+" higher than the front I did not expect to sit now 1.5" higher in the front than in the rear.

It also appears that the "appropriate" drop brackets are a bit shorter than I need. The truck now sits on 2/3-3/4 of its tread footprint. Other than that, the truck rides so much better and the suspension cycles quite well.

Customer service has been quite attentive though, and responded to my order/pictures/installation with "We are stumped." So hopefully I receive some free 4" drop brackets to test at the top of their camber adjustment bolt.

Anybody have any advice other than a recommendation to just find a Dana 60?

You must be registered for see images attach

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to understand some things about front suspension. 1st is you NEED a dropped steering box arm. You will get bump steer every time you hit a bump in the road. The steering arm will place the steering link back into the proper geometry to get rid of this. The 2nd thing is the king pin angle needs to be changed. I did this myself but you may need an alignment shop if you don't fully understand the geometry. This will assist your tires to run almost square with the pavement. Your tires are tipped out at the top and this is dangerous. Plus it will eat your front tires quickly. Here is a good article on Bump steer; http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ctrp-1001-bump-steer-explained/ And finally here is an article on camber and caster; http://yospeed.com/wheel-alignment-explained-camber-caster-toe/. This should keep you busy for a while. Good luck!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need an alignment shop to adjust the camber and caster. They have to be adjusted all in one shot with one adjustment for both caster and camber. But the way yours is now, there is probably not enough adjustment until you get the taller center drop brackets.

Besides the pitman arm other people have mentioned, how does the travel on your shocks and the length of your brake lines look at full droop?

Last edited:

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys for the advice. I'm looking at a 3.5" drop pitman from customsuspension or maybe just a 4" drop pitman from T@$$ Country. I'm definitely not driving it until I alleviate this terrible alignment. At full droop with these springs the brake lines are still loose, yet I'll probably have longer ones made just to be safe. It says 2" lift on the spring pad, yet I think 4" drop brackets adjusted at the top of their range will put it at about level.

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, should I try these, or stick with the 4" Tuff Country brackets?

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And would you recommend a 4" drop pitman or a 3" drop pitman?

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The arm's drop should be the same as your lift. If you picked up the truck 4 inches you need a 4 inch dropped arm. If not you will not get rid of the Bump Steer.

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm back y'all! So after searching the interwebs for drop Axle pivot brackets between 2" and 4" I found a company on EBAY that sells some strange 3" lift for TTB F250s with a "mini leaf pack" for the front. Looks just like some sort of block with a spring center-bolt that goes through it. Fortunately they sell a drop bracket kit and they completely remedied the situation! Just installed them yesterday, now waiting for my drop pitman arm!

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha I had to get a little more lift with setting the lifted springs. Appreciate the concern though!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86