Just another newbie with some questions

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed with Robert, sure sounds like an air intrusion (which is a fuel delivery issue, so I was right, haha!) but you don't need new injectors for it - what you need is a new return line kit, it's those plastic caps with the hoses attached to them, they have o-rings under them that dry out and start letting air in when the engine is shut off. You can buy the kits from several places online, but I suggest you support our fellow members and get a kit from either Russ (username: typ4) or Mel (username: Agnem).

If the O-rings were bad would there be some fuel leaks? Everything around the injectors is bone dry, no leaks.

I'm going to be parking this truck for the winter. Over the winter I'm going to try and purchase all the parts I'll need for all the repairs on this.

Here's what I'm thinking. If I'm going to tear it down to replace the return lines then I want to replace the injectors and IP at the same time. I read in Mel's "fuel injection servicing" tech article that he IP and injectors are usually good for 100,000 miles. Well the truck has either 126,000 or 226,000 miles and it appears like the injectors are the originals. So I'd rather replace it all at once and hopefully not have to worry about them after that for quite a while. Instead of having to replace it all piece by when each item craps out and causes me more down time and headaches.:D

the appearance of those injectors along with the age and apparent mileage are telling that those injectors are past their service life. About 100k is about all they are usually good for, then it is time for new ones anyway.

The smoke while cranking when it isnt starting is more like slobbering injectors than an air leak at the return lines . With slobbering injectors you get smoke from the fuel pooled up in the cylinders but no fire since no fuel pressure ( aside from the possible couple of second cough from a big pool of fuel if it was parked long enough followed by smoke with no fire with excessive cranking till it finally fires and smokes like crazy till it clears it's throat )
With air intrusion from bum orings , the fuel usually just drains back to the tank , so no puffs of smoke at all, just endless cranking till the fuel finds it's way back up from the tank.

The other symptom that points to slobbering injectors is the hard knocking. That "rattle" is most definitely a sign of one or more slobbering injectors, Usually noticed most in mid range and up at mid range throttle and up

If those were Bosch injectors, I'd say, run a couple of cans of Diesel Purge through them and go, but those are Stanadynes and they are past their service life. PM type 4 here and get ahold of a set of new ones and an install kit and you will be good to go.

I plan to get the injectors and return line kit from Russ. I wouldn't mind a Baby Moose IP too but that will depend a lot on the price.

Thanks for all the help guys!:thumbsup: I'm going to have plenty to do next spring.LOL

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ted, sometimes bad o-rings don't leak diesel, the fuel pressure seals them but when the engine shuts off the pressure is gone allowing the air in. But I do believe that Rob is correct on the sloppy injectors, so I think you're on the right track by freshening up the whole fuel injection system.

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ted, sometimes bad o-rings don't leak diesel, the fuel pressure seals them but when the engine shuts off the pressure is gone allowing the air in. But I do believe that Rob is correct on the sloppy injectors, so I think you're on the right track by freshening up the whole fuel injection system.

I'm planning to add an electric lift pump at the same time. And when I bought the truck it only had about a 1/4 of a tank of diesel in the front tank. So I filled it up and guess what. Yep the tank leaks!:mad: So I get to replace the front tank too! So when I'm done I will pretty much have a completely new fuel system.:D

Interesting bed on that thing. Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome. Yes it is an interesting bed. LOL It needs some reworking though. They mounted the rear tank filler neck so low that you can't fill the rear tank.cookoo I tried to fill the rear tank and got some diesel soaked boots instead.:rotflmao And I also need to make some taller sides for it.