Just a thought need input glow plugs

jsnap

Dunce
Reaction score
Ok fellas tell me what you think in my opinion and yeah i no about opinions but hear me out the main cause of glow plug failure or maintinance is they go on every time you turn the ignition even for a short time when you sure dont need them. Now i know you can manually wire them to work when you want them to but to me thats a 2nd rate solution. So i was thinking to take off the hot wire that gets hot with the ign on at the glow plug relay , and say ataching a jumper from the cold advance sol or the high idle sol to that post on the relay this way the plugs would only come in when cold . I know the temp senser pulls the solenoids out at about 115 so what do you think if the engine is warm enough not to need advance or high idle you think it would be warm enough to rattle off. AND NO WISE CRACKS ABOUT OPINIONS BEING LIKE A H----- EVERYBODY HAS ONE AND THEY ALL STINK. Thanks fellas Richie M

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Well, i'm not too sure when the cold advance solenoid is activated so i can't really say if that's a good idea or not. For me, even on not that cold of days it'll take a few seconds of cranking to get going, especially after it's been sitting for a long time, more than a day, and i almost always need a glow plug run. So basically i burn them every day and have yet to have one go out. These are motor craft plugs.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basicly what you want is the 6.9 system... It's temp sensitive, and works exactly how you want, I'd still be running it on mine if I had of been able to change the controller, the old one burnt out and twisted off in the block...
Hooking to the cold advance would not work too well, many times mine will be warm enough to not turn it on, but, due to the ambient air temps, it doesn't build enough heat in the cylinders to fire off on it's own.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
a fella by the name Jim Madden did a temp sensitive GP relay for his 7.3 turbo IDI He went by MaddenJM on TDS. might be able to find a post on it.