Just a stupid egt question

The_88_lariat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 1988 7.3 i want to install a pyrometer i want to just drill the manifold in chassis but im afraid that if i do than metal shavings will get sucked into the turbo do i have to remove the manifold?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
No. It's really not a problem.
You can cover the tap with grease, which will mostly pick everything up.
Or what I did was do everything with the engine running.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Put some grease(bearing works good) on the drill bit that should catch the shavings
you can also use a vacuum to get any leftover shavings.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your gonna drill and tap from the bottom up. Wear googles to keep the hot chips out of your eyes. Yup, grease is your friend. Take a magnet and move any chips left over to the hole, the mag will pull any chip out the hole.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That will put it through the turbo. Just saying.
With the engine running, there will be a slight back pressure, which will push everything out the hole.
Many many many people have been doing it this way with absolutely zero problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Personally I don't believe any metal parts will do any damage to the hot side of the turbo. Run it and drill or drill it cold. As suggested. Grease on the drill bit and for sure on the tap threads. REmember these are tapered pipe threads so do not cut the too deep in the cast iron manifold. So you posted you have a turbo... I don't understand why you don't have a spot for one now in the exhaust system...

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cast iron will produce a powder rather then a stringy chip,like common H.R or C.R. steel, especially when drilled by hand with low feed rate, wouldn't worry too much, also a majority of "chips" come up the drill bit and out, grease on the tap will catch most of chips produced by tapping, again mostly a powder, probably not much different then carbon particles coming out of combustion chamber. Based on my decades of metal cutting. Like the idea of running engine while drilling, similar way to drill air cooled VW cases to add full flow oil filters while assembled, only we pressurize the oil sender port to blow out main galley while drilling, been common practice for as long as they have been modifying those engines.
rwk

The_88_lariat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Icanfixall on my f250 it came with a dealer installed banks kit it has a probe on the turbo but i want the most accurate reading and will be switching tubros here soon (i need help picking a turbo also maybe hx35?) but not the manifolds and if i go with a different turbo i will need a new down-pipe as well so thats why i want to go into the manifold.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I would have known your going to procrastinate on this, I would have sent you a Valentine Card with pictures. All the post on this thread has just about given step by step instructions. :dunno ;Really :D

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
you can put it in the crossover pipe which is what ATS recommended. You can do it on the bench with no worries about metal going into turbo.
Here is a direct quote from their instructions:
NOTE; If you feel you would like to have a pyrometer, thebest way to connect it to our system would be to weld a l/4"X l" long pipe nipple onto the drivers side 2 l/2" from theend of the crossover exhaust pipe (weld it onto thecrossover pipe so that it will point towards the truck mainframe).
https://www.atsdiesel.com/PDF/7.3-WG-Ford-Turbo-System-Install.pdf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online