Just a lil' gloating

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, When I got the truck the RH valve cover was off and two injectors were missing. I replaced them and put the new seals on. But the large pink seal looked kinda poorly made. I hope it won't be a problem.

the smoke shouldclear out then.youre burning the oil out of the cylinders and exhaust.when the injectors are removed the cylinders fill up with oil and fuel.

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
the smoke shouldclear out then.youre burning the oil out of the cylinders and exhaust.when the injectors are removed the cylinders fill up with oil and fuel.

Thanks, that would make sense. I still havn't gotten it on the road, would that be the reason it is a little grumpy to get starte d , still a little air in the rails?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Thanks, that would make sense. I still havn't gotten it on the road, would that be the reason it is a little grumpy to get starte d , still a little air in the rails?

When you get a chance, drive it like you stole it. That will clear it up pretty quick.:D

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hard start is air in the oil rails.like i said take it out and drive it like you stoleit if you can.ifnot you can stick a brick on the gas pedal and kick the idle up to 1200rpm and let it run for about an hour

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
hard start is air in the oil rails.like i said take it out and drive it like you stoleit if you can.ifnot you can stick a brick on the gas pedal and kick the idle up to 1200rpm and let it run for about an hour

I have yet to acquire an upper air filter housing and I live on a lime rock road so the brick it is.

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
AAAAAGGHHhhhh:mad::backoff
:rolleyes::rolleyes:
So I get the motor lit and am in the process of carefully watching the water temp. and all the rest if the vitals while trying to get the air out of the rails......THEN, what do I see?:mad: A growing, strike that A QUICKLY GROWING puddle of oil coming from Juuuusst behind the oil pan. And as you probably would guess. NO! I didn't change the rear main seal.:backoff I had it in my hand at the parts house but I was running low on funds and decided to chance it. Whattadumbarse!! Now I get to pull the trans.:puke: I looked on different forums to see if there were any other possible ailment. Some said the HPOP seal or the pedestal seals. Nope, that's not it. I'm taking the week off from it.

I guess it will give me the opportunity to swap the tranny lube to 30W and Lucas. This is starting to feel like a boat.:rolleyes: I guess I still can't complain too much. I'm just tired of chasing the PO's laziness. I'll be glad when I get ahead of him.

BTW, Is it possible to remove a rear main seal from an old motor and put it on a new one? Without ruining it? I ask because I believe that is what the PO might have done. Being there were no gaskets used by the PO in the installation of this motor.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not sure on the 7.3 PSD but what kind of air filter do they use? I am more familiar with the IDI's, the N/A's with the carb'ed gasser style air cleaner, or the turbo'ed ones. I am very familiar with the 6.0 air cleaner. With mine being a 6.0 I plan on using the stock filter. It is about the best filter solution until you get into the 500+ HP. It is a Donaldson power-core filter. It flows a huge amount of air, will hold over 3lbs of particulates before it is considered full. I have not changed the filter on mine, so I know that it has a least 40k miles on it. If the PO did not change it, it has almost 110k miles on it, and the filter-minder is showing a little restriction. I have even look at the setup, since in the future I would like to add an IDI to the fleet. Hopefully with a turbo. I have considered using the 6.0 air filter on an older truck, as the air filter mount is also the drivers side battery tray. Not sure if it would fit, but it would be an upgrade that I would pursue.......

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW, Is it possible to remove a rear main seal from an old motor and put it on a new one? Without ruining it? I ask because I believe that is what the PO might have done. Being there were no gaskets used by the PO in the installation of this motor.

are you positive its the rear main?the valley is dry?remove the inspection cover from the bell housing and look up in there with a flashlight with it running.just be careful of the spinning flywheel :eek:.it is possible to use a used seal.the seal is in a cover that is removable.there are no gaskets except for a couple oring gaskets in the timing cover.everything is sealed with gray rtv.

for future reference.its a good idea to replace that seal with the motor or trany out whether its leaking or not unless you have replaced it yourself.

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
for future reference.its a good idea to replace that seal with the motor or trany out whether its leaking or not unless you have replaced it yourself.

Typically, I do. But you know how things go when you get down on funds.:dunno

Right now I'm gonna concentrate on getting the interior clean. And take time to repack the front wheel bearings. I did however get rid of the piece of crumbly plastic the factory uses for the pickup screen when I welded a hole shut in the tank.

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
Any Ideas??

Well, I got the trans pulled and found out where the oil was coming from. Yup it was my fault.:backoff When I was putting the pan back on I must have bumped the silicone bead in the rear. It was Juuuuussst enough to make it leak. *Note to self* DON'T DO THAT AGAIN!!:puke: Anyhow I did get to get a good look at the condition of the clutch, I found out that it is in perfect shape. For some reason the PO had put a homemade pilot bushing in it :dunno It looked as if the made it from a lid from a medicine bottle.:rolleyes: For what reason I don't know but that would go along with the rest of this project. I'm not complaining, but if they had taken a lil' bit more time they would still have the truck.

Now to the meat and potatos of my post, I can't seem to figure out why the running lights won't turn off. The headlights do but when you turn the running lights off they only dim just slightly, like a ground isn't connected. But where to start looking for it is my question.

Thanks In advance;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle