Just a lil' gloating

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just put a K&N in my 99 maybe 2000 miles ago, cost was $54, don't seem to make any diff on preformance. Might save money in the long run on filter changes.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
K&N is junk. K&N filters do NOT filter very well. They let fine particles past the filter and it will sand blast your turbo and engine. What you have heard is true, use anybody else's filters.

Dave

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
throw a DIY open intake on it.oilpump shouldnt be an issue but the HPOP will be an issue.its gonna take a bit to get the reservoir,pump,oil rails and injectors filled up again.as im dure you know crank it for a few seconds and let the starter cool down between cranks.once it starts let it run for a while.it will be hard to start tillall the air is worked out of the oil and fuel rails.if you can drive it take it out and drive it like you stole it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The P.O. put the K&N on our 02' Excursion, and I've kept it on there. over 200k on the clock now, and the turbo is original as well as most everything else. I'm getting 21.5 MPG with it. I run K&N's on everything I have and never have had a problem. Perhaps the issue is too many people don't know how to clean and maintain them. :dunno

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:rotflmao

Can you take the fitting out of the to of the HPOP resv. and fill it ahead of time?

yes but its still gonna take a bit to start cuz it still has to fill the hpop,oil rails,injectors and work enough air out to start.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the issue is too many people don't know how to clean and maintain them. :dunno

nope itsactually a well known fact on the PSD boards that a turbo diesel will suck dirt through a properly cleaned and oiled K&n or other gauze type filter wich is why the tymar and DIY versions are so popular and highly recomended on a PSD

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
Here's my problem now. I got everything back together. (I think) I try spinning it over but nothing. Except a rapid clicking from relay #2 in the box under the hood. What gives?!?

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
UPDATE!! WOO HOO

:yell:IT"S ALIVE!!!!!:yell:

I unscrewed the sending unit and filled up the reservoir, gave it a sniff of WD-40 and with a bit of cranking she started to rattle!:D Thanks to all who gave info on my project.

So far I am about $1,500. deep into it, not too bad.:sly

It does have a slight oil smoke when it runs but I figure it should quit after a while (Hopefully)

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
:yell:IT"S ALIVE!!!!!:yell:

I unscrewed the sending unit and filled up the reservoir, gave it a sniff of WD-40 and with a bit of cranking she started to rattle!:D Thanks to all who gave info on my project.

So far I am about $1,500. deep into it, not too bad.:sly

It does have a slight oil smoke when it runs but I figure it should quit after a while (Hopefully)

cool the smoke might be a leaky injector?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
leaky injector wont be oil smoke.did you or the PO have the injectors out?

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
leaky injector wont be oil smoke.did you or the PO have the injectors out?

Yup, When I got the truck the RH valve cover was off and two injectors were missing. I replaced them and put the new seals on. But the large pink seal looked kinda poorly made. I hope it won't be a problem.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nope itsactually a well known fact on the PSD boards that a turbo diesel will suck dirt through a properly cleaned and oiled K&n or other gauze type filter wich is why the tymar and DIY versions are so popular and highly recomended on a PSD

Well I certainly don't want to get into an argument about it. There are plenty of those. But I'm an engineer of sorts, and would like to know how that data was colected. Facts often come from legends when enough time passes. It's totally ilogical that the PSD has some unique sucking power that no other engine has. :dunno

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I certainly don't want to get into an argument about it. There are plenty of those. But I'm an engineer of sorts, and would like to know how that data was colected. Facts often come from legends when enough time passes. It's totally ilogical that the PSD has some unique sucking power that no other engine has. :dunno

not just the PSD,all turboed engines.a couple people have flow tested various filters to find out wich is better.if you dig around on superdutydiesel aand TDS i believe you will find the info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle