Jumping when letting clutch out

paintedreams

Reaction score
I just recently done a single mass flywheel replacement a few months ago and when I made a trip to the mountains today it would jump up and down when I would take off from a dead stop. I normaly would take off in second gear but I had to use first and it wasn't much better. Has anyone every had this problem.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Yeah, mine does it as well. My firewall was cracked and clutch/brake pedal bracket shot, so I just assumed my clutch disk was toast and will eventually replace it. Mine doesn't seem to do it to bad if you stay off the throttle until totally released. With the 4.10's, that isn't to hard because you can just let out on the clutch and it will go without stalling. If I bring up the rpm's like you normally would as releasing the clutch, it will jerk and carry on. Also seems to do it much worse when everything is warm.

paintedreams

Reaction score
What I don't understand is I replaced everything when I changed from an auto to a five speed.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you describe this as clutch chatter, or some kind of torsional problem? A broken motor mount or something like that can cause this.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Would you describe this as clutch chatter, or some kind of torsional problem? A broken motor mount or something like that can cause this.

Don't forget a loose or missing transmission crossmember bolt.:rolleyes:

Been there, does the same symptom.

paintedreams

Reaction score
The problem doesn't really get bad till you drive it for a long distance or a long period of time like 2 hrs. or so. Shortly after I replaced the clutch, when I would drive home from the lake pulling my bass boat I noticed that it would wheel hope or thats the way it felt when I was backing the boat.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like something is expanding from heat and going out of tolerance.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
you need to try and get ahold of Rob (F350camper) he had this same problem till it got so bad even first gear would do it I beleive he fixed his by fixing I think the wore out bushings on the clutch rod he PM'd me about this but I forget the details now

bigrigdom

Reaction score
ok, so this was a really old thread but it pretty much describes exactly what my truck does. If I take off in second gear it feels like its shuddering, and I can only leave in second if Im unloaded. first gear takeoffs are okay if i dont rev it up, just ease off the clutch and then lay into it. it gets really bad when I'm towing a trailer. even one that doesnt weigh more than a couple tons. I didnt think much of it untill I started reading these posts. it seems like it should be smooth regardless of how high i rev it, and god forbid i dump the clutch high enough to break traction cuz then im in for a ride. feels like im on a dam mechanical bull. if i dont wear a seatbelt itll put me into the roof!!LOL

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first thought/question is did you have the flywheel resurfaced?

This is the first IDI that I've ever put a clutch in, and of course the first SMF conversion I've ever done, but I've done LOTS of clutch jobs in various other vehicles.

In my experience, when installing a new clutch & pressure plate, if you don't resurface the flywheel, you'll end up with a "grabby" clutch like you describe at least half the time.....

bigrigdom

Reaction score
cheaper jeeper I do not know if the flywheel has been resurfaced or if it is a new clutch or not. i have only owned it for several months and it has done it since i bought it. however, i do know that when I bought it, after I would shift or depress the clutch pedal, it would spring all the way back out. then after a failed:mad: power braking attempt for some of my buddies the pedal only started coming back up halfway. it feels like the clutch is fully disengaged, I just have to put my foot behind it and pull it the rest of the way out. its become second nature now so no biggie. also, now that im rambling, when the clutch is out all the way there is a squeeking noise that seems to have something to do with the clutch. but when I push the pedal halfway in(the point to where it will initially pop out to after depression) it goes away. what do ya make of that? sorry this is so long but ive been drinkin some whiskey and just feel like talkin to some fellow IDI'ers.
thanks for listening,
dom

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cheaper jeeper I do not know if the flywheel has been resurfaced or if it is a new clutch or not. i have only owned it for several months and it has done it since i bought it. however, i do know that when I bought it, after I would shift or depress the clutch pedal, it would spring all the way back out. then after a failed:mad: power braking attempt for some of my buddies the pedal only started coming back up halfway. it feels like the clutch is fully disengaged, I just have to put my foot behind it and pull it the rest of the way out. its become second nature now so no biggie. also, now that im rambling, when the clutch is out all the way there is a squeeking noise that seems to have something to do with the clutch. but when I push the pedal halfway in(the point to where it will initially pop out to after depression) it goes away. what do ya make of that? sorry this is so long but ive been drinkin some whiskey and just feel like talkin to some fellow IDI'ers.
thanks for listening,
dom
Is the pedal return spring hooked up and working?
If so, one possibility is the throw out bearing isn't sliding smoothly on the sleeve surrounding the input shaft.
Another might be that something in the pedal/pivot/rod assembly is worn to the point of binding.
Yet another possibility might be a problem with the pressure plate springs.
Lastly, the slave cylinder piston may be gummed up or have some galling in the bore causing it to "hang" instead of retracting all the way.

Those are the possibilities that come to mind right off the top of my head.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you have oil or fuel dripping back onto the clutch and soaking it up, you'll get that kind of behavior too.

-------Robert

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Could it be caused from a ceramic clutch? My truck does it to, and I was told by my grandfather that it was because he had a ceramic clutch put in.