Joinng the Cool Kids Saturday!

NW_Iron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picking this beast up in Walla Walla, flying in Saturday morning and driving it back 330 miles!!

I don't know her exact history but it had a 7.3l swap in 96, then it looks like it was driven until 2000 and parked for about 15 years, I ran an Autocheck. I had it inspected locally and as it turns out the shop owner knew the previous owner (yay for small towns!) he told me the guy was a helicopter pilot who took good care of his equipment, the motor came back with flying colors. there was some confusion in regards to the Tcase, it has the wrong knob and the shop couldn't shift it. That means it's a Tcase from 88+ right? I don't know when the ZF5 was swapped in. Shop also said there was noise from the D60 diff, but no slop in pinon. Maybe the hub seals? Tires were bald in the rear but the seller agreed to put 4 new Cooper AT3's on her. For a minute it looked like I would lose her to another buyer after the inspection results and price negotiations but the seller stood by his word. I'm pretty excited and feel great about the deal I'm getting, as long as there are no surprises of course.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 01515_7DGj5PZsCdJ_1200x900.jpg
    01515_7DGj5PZsCdJ_1200x900.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 54
  • 00I0I_cdXFcoDm1YW_1200x900.jpg
    00I0I_cdXFcoDm1YW_1200x900.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 169
  • 01010_2ZaZne3S1vv_1200x900.jpg
    01010_2ZaZne3S1vv_1200x900.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 171
  • 00I0I_h85PkdBYzIY_1200x900.jpg
    00I0I_h85PkdBYzIY_1200x900.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 172
  • 00q0q_9RRT5KhCUTd_1200x900.jpg
    00q0q_9RRT5KhCUTd_1200x900.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 173

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice looking truck! Hope you have a good trip.

That **** knob is for a NP205 out of a 70's truck. It's a big cast iron transfercase. So if you look at the transfercase and it appears to be aluminum/magnesium it's not the 205 and has a different shift pattern. It's almost exactly reverse of the pattern on that knob.

Front-back (1345, 1356 shift pattern)
2wd
4wd
n
4wd low

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Very nice looking rig. I noticed 2 items that demand attention before anything else is done. The cowl seal just above the air filter housing is damaged. A piece is missing. See the wet top of the filter housing. Thats rain water leaing in. If the wing nut that holds the filter top does not have a rubber and steel washer under it you are going to sure as hell get water in the intake. Thats the bad nature of these beasts. So please check and fix that before you hydrolock the engine with rain water. It has happened to others.
Now the second item I see it what appears to be a small tail pipe. From what you posted it seems like this truck had a gas engine in it from the factory. I see the 7.3 written on the rad core piece and the filter housing it says 6.9. These are not knocking your purchase. Just things I see and felt you would like to know. I like the dually look on that extra cab.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

NW_Iron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I'll check the transfer case right away. The skillet stirred me out shifts into all modes. I thought it might have been

_2H
_N
4H
4L

I'll find out for sure once I'm there.

I didn't notice that water on the housing, good eye. I'll check for that. What part is missing? Is it possibly from the bent hood, they backed into it with something. The forecast is going to be sunny for the drive home too.

It had a 6.9 from the factory and was a F250. I don't know when it was converted to a F350. Looks like the sterling will be a full floater but I'm not sure on the D60. I'm planning to at least drop then cover and replace the gasket, if that doesn't stop that leak then I'll look at axle seals as a next step.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Along the edge of the cowl is a rubber lip seal. Just above the filter housing you can see a piece missing. Best idea is place a large trash bag over the air filter housing so any water that gets on it will drain off instead of staying up there and eventually getting into the intake. Cut the bag to fix the housing. But the heavy duty bags. Really any heavy material plastic bag will work fine.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations. Any for pickup owner who sees your truck will know it was built with a purpose, not bought. if you ever owned a supercab 4wd truck, you'll wonder why Ford didn't build this in the first place. For starters, the ability to make a U-turn like a regular vehicle is positively priceless. Secondly, the ride is night and day in comparison to the reverse arched D50 springs. You have a true pickup dually 4x4 there. Your VIN sticker with it's specs are only a starting point now. here's a few pics of mime. not pretty but functional and I work the hell out of it. :D

Attachments

• P1050126.JPG
    P1050126.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 26
  • P1050127.JPG
    P1050127.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 28
  • P1040984.JPG
    P1040984.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 29
  • P1050082.JPG
    P1050082.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0117.JPG
    IMG_0117.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 35
  • P1020714.JPG
    P1020714.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 33
  • sulacointerior2016.jpg
    sulacointerior2016.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 33
  • P1030378.JPG
    P1030378.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 22

NW_Iron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhh yeah. Thanks for the props. I'm already thinking I'll love this truck and never let it go. I'll turbo it once I can afford it but only after I've done any other repairs or mods to increase it's longevity such as a coolant filter, fass/air dog, maybe oil bypass, etc. I have 3 empty oil sample bottles sitting on my shelf too.

That's a strong looking rig right there. It wool be a long time before I could afford a gear splitter... I did see some cheap P type laycocks but not abt adaptors.

Function over form all day everyday! I look at these as tools first and toys second.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The fass/air dog is not warranted on our fuel systems. What it does is removes the disolved air in the fuel so the psd electronic injectors can live a better longer life. Spend the money on other stuff for the idi like a cam or head studs. The more I read about your rig the more I like it as do a few others on here...:angel::angel::angel::thumbsup:

NW_Iron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh so not as important for these old beasts? Cool, that will pay a cam and springs then . I have Haynes diesel manual but haven't had a chance to sit down with it yet, guess I'll read that on the plane.

I will absolutely stud the heads before a turbo. I'll pick up some gauges before or at the same time.

Right on. I'll have some good quality pics up when I get her home. I need to find a red or even black hood soon...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Search for the Navistar service shop manual for these engines. Mine has a grey cover and the part number is CGES-435-1. Date is July 1991. It covers most of every part of the 7.3 idi engines. Go into an International Navistar dealer parts counter and tell them the year service shop manual you want. Its going to me the best how to manual you will ever purchase. I have 2 of them but loaned one out several years ago. Have not gotten it back but hope too someday... Allen you reading this???:angel::angel::angel::D:D

NW_Iron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been really busy since Friday.

I did pick up the truck Saturday! It's awesome and I've been drivng it everyday since. Has a real strong motor, super clean no leaks everything that matters is in great shape. Came with 4 new rear tire (practically new fronts) new starter and batteries, all new fluids and 2 full tanks of diesel!

What's not good is I think it may have dmf at worst bad pilot or throw out bearing at best. I did drive it about 350 miles so I'm not too worried but I don't plan to leave it that way long. When I get a chance I'll look in the inspection cover. The weather stripping on the passenger door is bad too, lots of noise going down the highway.

Oh it also came with paperwork, lots of it. I have several Ford manuals and inserts, engine swap records, lots of receipts for maintenance and even the International Harvestor reman engine tag ;) It has helper springs and a 25,000lb flip up ball hitch. The front Dana 60 is a 72' with 3.55 and the rear axle is from a 91/92 F350.

After searching through the records and painting a picture using mileage at oil changes, when the 7.3 was dropped in, and when it was last registered.... My guess is the motor has in the 50k mile range.

Hell yeah I scored!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If the door weatherstrip is complete all you need to do in get some rubber hose from home depot. Make a small cut in the weatherstrip at a top corner. Lube the hose with Dawn dishwashing soap and feed it into the flattened weatherstrip. I recall I used the 3/16 inch clear kind. Once you have about all you can feed in try closing the door. If it wont close adjust the pin in the door lock side so it will close tight. Cheap and easy weatherstrip repair.