Jeremy's (Pipeliner86) old F250

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I first rebuilt the return lines with new hose and viton o-rings, then replaced the exhaust with a near-new Y-pipe I scored from a junkyard for like $10, and that took care of the running issues but it would still have a hard time starting. Jake ran a full set of 3-0 cables both positive and negative, which made the starter spool up like it should, but truck still needed the ether to fire up. A full set of slow-glow AC Delco plugs on a manual switch did nothing but burn up the big relay, so I replaced that with the much heavier-built continuous-duty relay used in the GM diesels, and Jake just dropped in a full set of ZD-1s, truck fires up right away now, just as good if not a bit better than my own diesel, and that one starts pretty much instantly! New belts installed in the engine as well, I managed to kill one of the PS bolts but Jake managed to drill it out and replace it. Also we just finished the exhaust with a single small stack in the corner of the bed yesterday, flapper valve to be installed whenever Jake finds it in his garage. Interior is cleaned up, new door locks installed, window cranks fixed, headliner and trim pieces masked up and awaiting repaint. All bee nests are now removed from under the dashboard, several "new" gauges got installed too. Jake replaced the broken headlight bezels and swapped the tail light lenses out for the '88-'91 kind, and I just lined up the hood. Replacement glass for the rear slider has been obtained, just needs installed. Truck is to be sanded down and primed soon, final paintjob to be performed by Jake's girlfriend when she gets back from out of state.

We do, however, seem to have bad luck with the fuel tanks - front one started leaking shortly after we brought the truck to its new home, and the rear one also developed a leak but that's a weird one as it only leaks if full over 1/2, below that tis just fine. Jake just dropped the front tank last week and will be installing a new one soon, and the rear will follow suit once we get the front one operational.

Overall I think the truck's coming along pretty good, I actually like it better than my own one - sure as hell wouldn't trade my cab interior for the '80s design (or the mid-'90s for that matter), but as far as outer appearance goes mine ain't got nothing on his, except for the fact tis a dually.

Anyhow, just wanted to give y'all a quick update - I promised Jeremy the truck is going to a good place, figured tis about time I prove it too. Pics to be taken next time I go down to Plymouth to work on it.

On a side note - Jeremy, if you're selling the big truck, what are you replacing it with? (yes, I found the CL ad today, lol)

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What happened to the slow glow 7Gs? I'm shocked they didn't work out for you. I might be interested if they didn't get junked, just to have on hand.

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
On a side note - Jeremy, if you're selling the big truck, what are you replacing it with? (yes, I found the CL ad today, lol)

Hey Ivan, I'm glad to see you guys are fixing up Jakes truck. Hopefully he'll get many years of good service out of her.

Yes I'm selling the big 'ole wood truck. Its on ebay now, hope to get some money out of her after all the work and time I put into getting it just right. The truck I'm replacing it with is a 1998 Dodge ext. cab 3500 dually, 4x4, cummins 12v diesel. Low mileage and in great shape. I never thought I would sell my old Ford, but there's not much room for two big trucks at my house.....or my pocket book.

I have a TON of idi parts that I'll start selling off. Spare engine blocks, cranks, pistons, valves, coolers....you name it, I probably have it. I post it all in the Market place when I get to it. In the meantime, if there are any engine parts you guys are after, let me know, I'll make you a heck of a deal.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What happened to the slow glow 7Gs? I'm shocked they didn't work out for you. I might be interested if they didn't get junked, just to have on hand.

I dunno man, I bought them brand new from Glendale Auto, but they never worked right - I had 12V at each of the plugs, but maybe the contact between the glowplugs and the harness wasn't very good so they weren't getting all the power they should be? Heck if I know, we even left them on for 3 minutes once, as per someone's suggestion from this board, but it didn't make a difference in starting the engine - that's actually when the stock Ford relay got messed up. Plugs came out real easy tho, and they don't look trashed, I don't think so at least, I'll clean them up and measure the resistances and will get back to you later this week.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeremy, so you're going over to the dark side, eh? Would the '98 12V Cummins be electronic injection, or is it still fully mechanical?

About the parts, I can't think of anything we really need right now, but if something does show up you'll be the first to know.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Jeremy, so you're going over to the dark side, eh? Would the '98 12V Cummins be electronic injection, or is it still fully mechanical?

About the parts, I can't think of anything we really need right now, but if something does show up you'll be the first to know.

A dodge is worse than the darkside LOL.

If its a 12valve its mechanical. 1998.5 they swithced to the 24valve which is when they started becoming electronic.

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
Yep, what Justin said. It's hard to pass up a deal on a great running, low mileage 12v cummins. 134,*** on the odometer! The pump has never been touched, and it received a new tranny and convertor at 95,000 miles. Its just begging to be turned up....maybe just a little.;Really

I know I deserve a full out SWONK attack.:backoff : I'll stand up and take it like a man.:idiot:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, if you turn the pump up, can the transmission handle it? I ain't never heard anything good about post-727 Dodge slushboxes, as far as reliability goes at least...

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
Hmm, if you turn the pump up, can the transmission handle it? I ain't never heard anything good about post-727 Dodge slushboxes, as far as reliability goes at least...

It doesn't take to much to cook a stock dodge trans. This also means I won't be turning up the power too much. I go pretty easy on my vehicals, I guess I'm too attached to the whole longevity and reliability issue.;Sweet

The last Goat truck I had (97 ext.cab 12v 4x4/auto) ran great, but the convertor was toast. :puke:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah man, I hear you on the longevity thing - I turned my pump down for that very reason, truck was blowing a bit too much smoke when towing the big trailer so I figured I'd take it easy and slow down for the sake of keeping the pistons undeformed ;)

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
That is an awesome work truck, it must be hard to let it go.

If it sells, I'll probably cry when it leaves my driveway.:cry:

My freind Dale McCullough (the fella you talked to) has a little six banger CAT diesel in his shop that I wanted to stick in my 86. I think a CAT with an Allison dropped in a early 80's crewcab truck would have been the "cats ass".

All these great ideas require so much money and time. Guess I better start looking for the winning lottery ticket.:rotflmao

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online