It's not an injector.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost sounds normal to me....I do hear a bit of a knock, I always thought that sounds wasn't too bad though. I hope not, my truck sounds almost like that. You can hear what it sounds like by looking up "jdkl81" on YouTube. I have some truck vids there.

Edit: I mean to say timing could be a bit too far advanced but you knew that when you had the guy put it where I suggested with luminosity specs. It was about 1.5 ATDC with luminosity right? That's within specs but it won't give the quietest operation. Mine is closer to 0 and it clatters and runs rough sometimes too.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
The timing was set to 0 with the luminosity, he said when I first brought it in it was at 4.5 with the new injectors so he adjusted it back to 0.

Once in awhile, the knock wont be there at all. Today when I got in my truck at work to get lunch, it fired up and didn't knock at all until I gave it some gas and the knock came back.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Syco, do you run any additives? Mine had that same kind of knock and smoked blue like nobody's business because I left my tanks untreated for a few fills. Triple dose of Diesel Kleen cleaned it right up. I know your injectors are new, but that ULSD reaps havoc on these...

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
the engine sounds fine...that higher pitched tink is what im assuming is the knock and not just some sort of background noise. I would def check the dmf as the noise becomes plain when you get around the trans. and when my dmf collapsed(about 1-2000 miles after a brand new clutch kit-didnt know to check it cause all i had dealt with was a smf) I thought that i had lost a transmission or the fan at first. It was a horrible noise that i cant even describe. The truck started up and ran fine home but when i fired it up the next day it didnt feel right and i could hear some nasty growling/tinking/horrible noises and i killed it and pulled everything apart. It rained pieces of springs and lord knows what else when i pulled the inspection plate. point being the dmf can make some awful noises and i experiance several different noises from it so that would be my first thing to check out.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I did run without fuel additive for the first 5k miles, but the last 9 tanks I have been adding some marvel diesel additive, got 3 bottles for .07 cents each.

You cant hear it in the vid, but there is some squeaking coming from the clutch area, pretty sure it's the DMF. I'm hoping this is all from there as I would rather change the clutch/flywheel than the motor. I will pull the inspection cover shortly and see if I can glean any info from the flywheel.

Aside from the noise, the truck runs great, idles smooth, no smoke and always starts right up...but probably not for long since my o-rings are leaking from the injector swapping. I want to make sure I dont have to pull the injectors again before I replace the o-rings.

BigDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine makes the same exact noise. I was worried until I heard a few other idi's making the same tick. I am hoping its a normal sound.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine makes the same exact noise. I was worried until I heard a few other idi's making the same tick. I am hoping its a normal sound.
X3, for the 6 or 7k miles I've owned it. Hard to tell exactly with the audio, but I didn't hear any noise mine doesn't make. Could be there was another noise previously that was masking this one, and now it's just playing games with you? Dunno, but if it's running great like you say, I'd send an oil sample in and see if anything's going wrong. I'm planning to do that, but I'm sure not going to park it.LOL

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
Quick note guys, admittedly, I am not an expert on IDI's but, there is a common thing that reigns true on all diesels............they need to be timed right. The majority of you seem to have developed this noise after replacing injectors or IP. Well, you have basically removed an old component that is no longer performing at its peak and replacing it with one that is a peak performance. What that means is you took out injectors that flowed less and popped at lower pressures because they were worn and you replaced them with an injector that by virtue ofbeing new, flows more and pops higher. Same with an IP, after replacing fuel injection components you are gonne need to adjust your timing. Loud and knocky usually means too much advance, which plays true with what delivering more fuel sooner is what these new components are doing. Retard is gonna quiet stuff down, I would suggest retarding a lil' bit and see what she does.

cornbinder 84

Goat Rancher
Reaction score
I listened to the video you posted and the video you posted back in April. The truck sounds the same to me except for a tink, tink sound. My money goes on the DMF. One of the guys here at work let his DMF get real bad and his truck sounded awful idleing.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Quick note guys, admittedly, I am not an expert on IDI's but, there is a common thing that reigns true on all diesels............they need to be timed right. The majority of you seem to have developed this noise after replacing injectors or IP. Well, you have basically removed an old component that is no longer performing at its peak and replacing it with one that is a peak performance. What that means is you took out injectors that flowed less and popped at lower pressures because they were worn and you replaced them with an injector that by virtue ofbeing new, flows more and pops higher. Same with an IP, after replacing fuel injection components you are gonne need to adjust your timing. Loud and knocky usually means too much advance, which plays true with what delivering more fuel sooner is what these new components are doing. Retard is gonna quiet stuff down, I would suggest retarding a lil' bit and see what she does.

I had my timing set right after I put the injectors in. I tried retarding it a bit but the knock was still there and it smoked constantly. The guy who set the timing put a new mark on the IP so I was able to set it back to 0.

I listened to the video you posted and the video you posted back in April. The truck sounds the same to me except for a tink, tink sound. My money goes on the DMF. One of the guys here at work let his DMF get real bad and his truck sounded awful idleing.

I'm really hoping it's the DMF, a friend of mine has a connection at a performance shop and is getting a price on a south bend clutch/SMF for me just in case.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I'm really hoping it's the DMF, a friend of mine has a connection at a performance shop and is getting a price on a south bend clutch/SMF for me just in case.

Its sucks to spend the money now, but in the long run you will be really happy getting rid of the DMF. Seems like you really like your rig and plan to keep it for awhile so think of it as an investment even if it doesn't make the noise go away :D

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A failing DMF can be brought to attention by changing the timing and injectors on an engine. I have taken a DMF off of a 7.3 that seemed fine on the truck it was on, no noises, no nothing, bolted it to a 6.9 and had it try to shake the truck apart at idle.