It's not an injector.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So have you inspected your DMF yet? I know the noise is bothering you, but if the springs are bulging and/or decide to fail while you are driving it, the noise will definitely be louder.

Get uder there and have a look at the springs and the physical travel of the flywheel, it may tell you everything you need to know.

Good luck.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I didn't get to today, I had to go help my friend put the front suspension on his Trans Am. I will check it first thing tomorrow when I get home from work. I just hope that it lasts awhile longer. I need my truck to bring my next IDI home on sunday. Then I will have a backup rig if my DMF craps out.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I got the cover off and checked out the flywheel. It has about 1/2" of free travel and if I rock it back and forth it sounds almost like the knock I hear. The springs didn't appear to be bulging though as they were still within the confines of the flywheel.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I got the cover off and checked out the flywheel. It has about 1/2" of free travel and if I rock it back and forth it sounds almost like the knock I hear. The springs didn't appear to be bulging though as they were still within the confines of the flywheel.

There should be No back and forth travel. Further inspection is needed. Hopefully there are no loose,or broken flywheel bolts?

It seems to me that if You let this so called KNOCK, annoy You that much. A SMF is going to annoy You more. I don't think I could stand My truck sounding like a pile of loose bolts rattling.

I'll agree that the DMF is not a perfect setup. But the SMF isn't either.

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
There should be No back and forth travel. Further inspection is needed. Hopefully there are no loose,or broken flywheel bolts?

It seems to me that if You let this so called KNOCK, annoy You that much. A SMF is going to annoy You more. I don't think I could stand My truck sounding like a pile of loose bolts rattling.

I'll agree that the DMF is not a perfect setup. But the SMF isn't either.

Short of more noise, what other problems are there with a SMF?

I have READ that it makes more noise (mostly from the transmission) but other than that it will last much longer, and not break. Also, if you run a heavier oil in the tranny, the noise should be reduced. I think mine is rattling as well, and I would take some gear whine from the tranny over that klickie klickie crap any day!

PZ

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
175K Quiet Miles miles outta My OEM DMF. The PO towed a 28' 5'er 65k miles out west with it. 110K miles doing concrete construction work. Still no rattles. I believe My Disc/TO Bearing are getting worn. If You ask Me, that's a perfectly acceptable service life.

From what the Transmission Manufacturer states. The DMF is Required for transmission longevity. There is debate over whether or not the SMF reduces transmission life. I gotta think that all of that rattling can not help the life of the gears/bearings. It's got to have some type of detrimental effect. Whether or not it's significant, I dunno.:dunno
Prolly has more of an effect with a poorly running diesel.

Last edited:

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
I vote for valvetrain noise, gotta go against every one here. :) I've heard failing DMF's and usually you hear them rattle hard when you shut it down. I'm defenitely not saying that I'd rule it out, or wouldn't change to a SMF, but if that were my truck, and I only had a half inch play, I'd be pulling valve covers, or stethescoping the covers at minimum.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There should be No back and forth travel.

Really? I am pretty sure then all move, even when they are new, but it's the amount of travel that defines wear on a DMF. I do agree that the mileage you got out of your DMF is very acceptable, and I thought about replacing my previous DMF with another, but the cost and potential failure mode ruled it out. Both work well, I can put up with the noise for the cost savings and simplicity of the SMF, but that's just my .02.

I have had both DMF and SMF in the same truck, and I agree with FastASS350: you usually hear a worn DMF when you shut it off. I will say from the video I think it's the DMF, but I would definitely pull valvecovers and look at everything I could before doing the clutch as it's a big job.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Last edited:

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
I am going to vote:

Loose injector line clamp or an injector line is touching something.

This will make a ticking sound, and it will be louder than you might expect.

DMF is a good guess but already taken.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
It is rotational play, didn't detect and front/back movement. The truck has 133k miles and I found 5th wheels holes under the bed liner. I will also admit I haven't really been doing a great job of shifting since I got this truck. It seems to like a little more finesse then just stomp/switch/release. The last several months I have been working on matching the engine/vehicle speed better. I will most likely go with a south bend conversion set. The gear noise wont bother me since my last truck had a 460/ZF and I heard it quite well, but it didn't echo off of my surroundings.

I will double check the injector lines since I need to change my o-rings again, probably pull my injectors as well to clean bores since I noticed 3 of them were leaking past the copper rings.