IT WONT STOP SWEEKING please help!

93 f350cc 7.3 na

Reaction score
The rear drum brakes wont stop sweeking.

A little back ground on the problem. After changing the transmission that dropped out of it back in Dec the brakes(rear) started sweeking and have not stopped since. Have not drove the truck very far for this reason or hardly at all for that matter. When we did the trans, the truck was jacked up for about two weeks. I mashed the e-brake as hard as I could to help hold the truck in place(auto trans and I have never used it before and I know I shouldn't of).

I have repalced everthing on both sides: shoes, springs, wheel cyl, turned the drums, and checked to see if the e-brake cable moves in and out, yes it does. Is there anything I may be overlooking? I am getting tired of taking off the dually wheels. I am really thinking of scrapping the drums in place of disc.

suv7734

Reaction score
Are they squeeking when you're driving along or just when you step on the whoa pedal?

93 f350cc 7.3 na

Reaction score
They only do it when you drive around and NOT on the pedal. Once you push the pedal they stop and they really do stop(locks up rear wheels under hard braking).

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
Also have you noticed if the hubs/drums are getting hot??? Im thinking that the brakes are hanging up and producing the squeek, however the drums/hubs should be on the hot side as well. If thats the case, the adjusters are too tight, back them out and readjust properly. With your hard stopping results, I tend to lean towards this cause...

sassyrel

Reaction score
also--tho you say the cables are moving--are they moving all the way???? cause i had some that werent releasing all the way--they had partially broke inside the sheath--replaced--no more problem--