It lives and leaks!!!

pafixitman

Reaction score
Took a half day today and got the truck finished. I started it w/o coolant for a minute (per Agnem's advice) and got (I think) all of the fuel leaks fixed (bad o-ring on a return, loose lines). Shut it down and added the coolant and as soon as I got the bock full it leaked.:eek: I think it is coming from the t-stat housing. Best I can tell there is no visable leak from the head. (Never seen a head gasket leak so I don't know for sure) It is dripping onto the lift pump.

To quote my son "I missed that sweet, sweet sound!";Sweet

Ran out of day light. Unfortunately I am 7 am till I drop tomorrow on the MIL house and Sunday I have a b-day lunch for my (might as well be) BIL.

Any thoughts, words of wisdom?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely its that T-stat housing or even more likely the top rad hose that goes to it. That happened to me the first tiem i filled my truck up after doing teh head gasket job. I had to put an extra hose clamp on and get it as tight as I could witha socket wrench. PITA, but its what you gotta do. Hang in there, I'm sure it isn't the head gasket. Good luck,
J.D.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Joe I wish I could be there to help but right now it is just not possible for Me, but I'm very happy tht You got it all together. As of the leak, it sounds like the t-stat gasket those are a real pain to get on some times.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got nothing!! :rolleyes: Did you use the Waker T-95???!!!! :rotflmao :D

I do hope it turns out to be something simple...it's been a long road and I'm sure you're :frustrate hang in there!

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Hang tough Joe ;Sweet been a while since I had an IDI apart but any chnace of a cracked t/stat hsg ?

That would be a small annoyance to an otherwise well done job, from what I have been reading ;Sweet

Murphy is at it again :shoot: -cuss

pafixitman

Reaction score
t-stat housing could be cracked. I don't recal seeing anything or dropping it etc. Come to think of it Eric, we put the gasket on dry. cookoo Hmm. 2 clamps may work also. I tightened the clamp w/ a nut driver so there probably is not a lot of torque on it. I'll get it pulled, get a new gasket and use Permatex on it. I also see how true the surface is when I have it off. I have reason to believe the hose and t-stat were factory, so I am the first one to monkey with it.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine had a t-stat housing leak on the top side. Was afraid it was a head gasket till I got down in there. Remove the fuel filter bracket and all that other stuff out of the way It has to come off anyway, and see if you can then find it. Even resort to a sprinkling fo flour over the area to see the leak track.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I put my engine back together in '04, I ended up with three coolant leaks. One at the thermostat housing (at the mating point, so there was a gasket issue), one at the bottom of the water pump, and one at the block heater (really scared me; at first, I thought the block had cracked). Replacing the thermostat housing gasket did the trick for me :) it was harder to pull the alternator, vacuum pump, etc to get to it than it was to actually change out the gasket. IMHO a light coat of RTV around the gasket wouldn't be a bad thing, as long as you don't put enough on to risk fouling up the thermostat.

Never seen a housing crack, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. There could be an issue with the hose as well. In any event, I would bet that it's something simple and not a major problem. You can borrow a cooling system pressure tester from Autozone if you don't already have one; IMHO it would be a good thing to have for this...

You're almost there!!! ;Sweet

Squirreltow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joe,
Glad to hear that the truck does run. Dry gasket on T-stat was probably not the best idea when we used the copper gasket maker on everything else when putting that engine back together.
Hope it is an easy fix to the T-stat housing, check the upper hose at the same time.
Can not wait to hear the engine running again.;Sweet

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Joe since you mention you believe the hose is OEM - replace it. But an old hose like that will be a pain to get seated again because it's pretty much formed to the last position. Oh and you shouldn't have to put more torque than you can get from a nut driver on a hose clamp because it will start to distort if you use anything more... In fact you can put too much on even with a nut driver - once you see the clamp start to rise you've gone too far but quit now and it will hold type of thing....

pafixitman

Reaction score
Travis, I did get new hoses from the stealership. As Chris said, we put the gasket on dry. Seeing how many have had an issue w/ the gasket at the housing, I am crossing my fingers that is what it is. If the weather holds, I'll know tomorrow.

Squirreltow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joe,
With your luck it will be raining hard all day long in Hanover. -cuss
Hope you can check just replace the gasket, use some sealer, and fire her up without leaks.
Then check out the idle and cruise around the block. :cool

pafixitman

Reaction score
You nailed it. Got back from Fredneck at 3 and it was raining...still...I think I will blow off the MIL place tomorrow night and work under a trouble light w/ Steph's help. The whole family is excited about getting her running!

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
pafixitman said:
The whole family is excited about getting her running!

Me too!:thumbsup:
Good to see she's close.
Here's hoping to a t-stat housing leak and nothing more.:hail