it just goes click

fsSnowboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, this morning my truck didn't start again. I tried to re-clamp and adjust the battery clamps because that seemed to fix it last time, but no go this time. I think its the starter solenoid that just goes "click." would it be a bad starter motor or what? the previous start before coming home it was a little slow to finally turn over. i only had 4 starts since the last time it wouldn't start.

Thanks guys, your always a big help

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this on my 89 6.9. Drove me nuts!!!!!

What I found was that there is a small wire running down to the starter solenoid. On the starter. not just the relay on the fender.

Mine had a break inside the insulation and would not engage the starter so it would not spin.

Replaced the wire, and never had another issue. Took 3 months to find it. intermitent issues suck!

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
you should be able to check things with a volt meter while a friend tries to start it for you. STAND BACK and check the voltage at the battery when the ignition is turned to start. if the batteris hold there voltage above 11.5 or so they are probubly ok. i would then systematicly move out from there to see where you are loosing your connection.

most likely it is a bad connection somewhere and possibly a internally corroded wire (battery or signal wire). do you have a good ground connection from the motor back to the batteries?

did you get your fuel tank issue resolved?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
If that is not the problem then You can rebuild the starter for $46.00 or buy a rebuild $150-230 with lifetime warranty.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
If that is not the problem then You can rebuild the starter for $46.00 or buy a rebuild $150-230 with lifetime warranty.

there was also a thread a little while back of a starter that would click and only engage intermittantly. guess it turned out to be a few dead spots on the flywheel itself the starter couldent engage.

fsSnowboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, i may start looking at the wiring that dsblack mentioned. I bought this autozone starter and its got the lifetime waranty. where and how should the motor be grounded to the batteries. I'm not sure if the ground is good or not.

And Jred, i havn't fixed the fuel tank yet, but seeing that its only a sending unit problem for now I will leave it alone. On the upside, eric offered to help me out with it when I want to fix it.

It is supposed to rain this weekend (its raining now) so i'll look at this sometime in the next few days.