Is this *really* a problem?

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got this in the mail today. My research shows it's part of the cruise control and ties into the brake system? Has anyone ever had a truck catch on fire because of this?

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Never heard of it but wait... Its free.. Whats the question again...;Really:eek::angel::D I would do it because its costing you nothing for a 20 year old rig that you probably didn't buy new.

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems like most of the guys posting about it seem to have PSDs. Maybe they just saw the '94 and fired off a letter?

Sure it's free, but now I'm back to the whole letting-other-people-work-on-my-vehicle thing. :)

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a thread about this not long ago. They seemed q quite worried about it. Don't remember who it when that was posted

1994 Ford F250 Superduty, 2wd, 7.3L IDI, NA, E4OD

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this is the same recall I had done on mine about two years ago. Basically they crawl under your truck and add a fused harness length at a connector. It is strictly plug and play. The paperwork took longer than he did to install it once he got out to the truck, he just did it in the parking lot.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of trucks have had this. My 2001 f150 had it done. They plug in a fusible link in line with switch. No big deal. About 30 seconds if the plugs come apart.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
92+ iirc. yeah, shorts out and burns the truck to the ground. but, your call, 15 minute wait at the stealership vs. loss or truck, or more.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
That's an old recall, for some reason Ford's sending out the notifications on it again. It is a real problem, several vehicles have burned down because of that short, and there was a story years back on a guy that lost his home when the truck went up in flames in his garage.
It's not just for pickups either, my dad got the recall on his '93 Crown Vic, and IIRC it was done on my Mark VIII as well.
If it's still available there was a vin checker at Fords website where you punched in your VIN and it'd tell you if the recall applies to your vehicle and if it had already been repaired or not.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Just do it.
Simple enough.
Multiple reasons to. Fire, loss of brakes, no cruise, brake light coming on. Could maybe cause TC to unlock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have seen this happen. I had a pickup in the shop that had been blowing the cruise fuse, I put a new fuse in (which didnt blow) and within maybe 10 seconds smoke filled the shop. I quickly pulled the fuse and the truck quit smoking. It never actually lit up, but as hot as that switch was, it was very close.

If you dont want someone working on your truck, just isntall a low amp fuse in the power wire at the switch.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the same letter. I need to get my 93 in. I don't like people touching my stuff, but I don't want it burning to the ground either.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get'er done or burn up, maybe. If you don't Ford is no longer reliable if you do burn up.

N.E fjord-by-fjord 2fiddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm out doing other electrical stuff on my '94 today...

Anyone know where this wire is, and it's color, so I can throw that fusible link in there....?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm out doing other electrical stuff on my '94 today...

Anyone know where this wire is, and it's color, so I can throw that fusible link in there....?
I wouldn't answer that question. It's a liability answer. Take it to a Ford dealer, let them tell you if it's necessary or not. Takes 15 minutes to install the plug and play if needed.

It's a dealers responsibility to do that. All he has to do is check the VIN, Ford may not be able to track down the owner.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US