Is this as good a deal as it feels?

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I was am picking up this wrecker for about $800 (really trading him a 94 Geo Metro). The deal seems pretty undeniable to me, but i just wanted to get the opinion of some more experienced folks. 302 engine (that I hope to swap out for a 6.9idi) and a manual 4 speed so i am guessing a T19. All in running serviceable condition.

What you think?

You must be registered for see images

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
id think the tow gear alone is worth the $800

as long as you have interested parties if you decide to jump ship on the project there is no way to mess that one up.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's an awsome deal. I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Trans may be a T-19A. We use the T-19B.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
An $800 tow truck that runs and drives?? yeah, a deal. That poor little 302, a pretty tough little motor for what it is.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the 302 is always panting just to get out of its own way but they can be pretty tough for what they are. Although my f150 does ok once you pass 4000

Only problem is you will be constantly opening the door to check if the engine is still runningLOL

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I do not agree 100% with the panting to get out of its own way. Dad had 2 E-150 vans both are customized not cargo or "window vans". An 85 with a Carb 302/4 speed auto. and a 94 with a EFI 302/4 speed auto. The 85 had 200k on it when it was traded in. The 94 has 260k on it currently. Both were the tow vehicle for our 16' Boat (about 2000lbs) and did a very good job. He got a 23' SeaRay that is about 5000 lbs and the van pulled it, just was not happy about it. He still has the 94 and is his daily driver. BTW - Neither eingine was apart, they are running all stock engines, except "normal wear" items, water pump, belts etc....

However, driving or towing with any SB gasser vs a diesel is no compairson......

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i got a good look at the truck today. so some thoughts. . .
1.) truck does have rust issues. I doubt anyone is surprised here. mainly drivers side cab corner. the whole cab corner and rail under the door and a bit of the floorboard gotta be replaced/reinforced. minor/mild rust damage in a few other places bust mostly bondo type areas.
2.)engines starts and runs but definitely needs a tune, maybe carb rebuild. Doesn't seems like that would be a huge deal but worth mentioning.
3.)tires need replacing, but are serviceable for the moment assuming they don't have dry rot issues
4.) All the tow rigging seems in good/servicable shape. both booms swings, independant controls work for each, cables and chains all solid.
5.)comes with spare 100' spool of heavy duty cable. He says it's worth a lot?
6.) actually a 5 speed manual. First is apparently a real granny gear for use when towing something too heavy. says he never used first.

ok well that's about it. he seems nice enough and eager to get it done. Any feedback from you guys on these items?

sassyrel

Reaction score
if you dont buy it-----well--that have phychyitrysts?? for that condition----:rotflmao get it--could put a 351w in it for more umph-- the 6.9 would be much better,tho more work-------------depends on if the mech are off the side of trans--if its hyd--and off the engine--wellllllll----altering here i come!!!

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
took a second to decipher that lol i'd love to put an old diesel in there, but everything is PTO driven so i think the trans has to stay. I realize that could be the hitch in my giddy-up when it comes to a re-power.

Death85e

Death85e
Reaction score
The recovery bed and the extra 100 foot coil of cable is by far worth the trade alone. you can buy a 12 volt pump to replace the existing pto to drive the hydraulics and run the winches and any other hydraulic equipment.

Recovery beds that are in good usable condition here go from $800 to $2500 and more here depending on if its a single line or dual line unit. If i had the same opportunity you have i would not hesitate one bit. You could always list the bed alone on craigslist and make money from it.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The recovery bed and the extra 100 foot coil of cable is by far worth the trade alone. you can buy a 12 volt pump to replace the existing pto to drive the hydraulics and run the winches and any other hydraulic equipment.

Recovery beds that are in good usable condition here go from $800 to $2500 and more here depending on if its a single line or dual line unit. If i had the same opportunity you have i would not hesitate one bit. You could always list the bed alone on craigslist and make money from it.

good point i hadn't thought of an electric pump. Still more than a simple engine swap is asking a lot out of me right now lol
Does anyone know what transmission it would be as a 1982 5spd man.? If i can get an adapter for the 6.9 that would be the easiest answer i think.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really have no idea what that 5 speed from 82 would be. They only put ZFs behind 460s and Diesels as far as I know and only much later. There was a light duty M5OD Mazda but I think that was later too. T18 and T19 trannies have ports for a PTO. Towcat would know this but I wonder if you could swap the PTOs to a diesel friendly transmission. If this is in fact a heavier duty 5 speed manual, if it has a detachable bell like most of Ford's manuals other than the ZF 5 and the M5OD then you could still use it just like you were planning with the T18/19, score a diesel bellhousing and never look back. It seems like a great deal even if you leave the 302 in or part it, and a super deal if you want to take on a conversion.