7.3 NA running as if it had a bad spark plug wire or bad plug.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
REALLY? Thanks for the skinny. My skin is so thin now from working out in the sun most of my life. I can just brush up against a shrub and start bleeding. But I stlll wash off grease with chemicals, mineral spirits, brakeclean, whatever is handy. GOJO is the best though.lol

The camera didn't really capture how bad it looked in person.
You must be registered for see images attach

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha! I actually live in the "southern" part of Florida, once you pass Tallahassee there's nothing but Yankees! And I'm all about the IDI too, slow, easy, no AC, runs on used motor oil..... it's an affront to the establishment! But the Yankees are taking over my blessed north west Florida too, oh well a native Floridian like me is a rare beast.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
@Jesus Freak do you do anything with the wmo like filtering? I could get tons of used oil from work, but some of those clowns dump coolant and other garbage into the same bin.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I've got a better idea. How about Jesus Freak makes a thread on the subject. He can explain his set up, show pictures, and answer the many questions there. That way we can all find it in one place.:Thumbs Up

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A friend told me that filters are important but you go through a lot of them. Filters are crazy expensive now.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
I have cracked the nuts, and lose a little rpm at each injector when cracked. Sometimes when accelerating through the gears with moderate pedal, the engine would thrust forward a bit as if the engine received a timing advance so I thought the advanced piston might be stuck. Not an expert on the injector pump. I am going out right now to check with a thermal gun and check the exhaust port temps as you have suggested.
I have noticed that the engine runs smoother when cold then misses more when warm. then for no reason, at times, the engine will rum absolutely smooth, then go back to missing. heading out to check temps now as the engine is cold. It always cranks up, always has except when an occasional air leak shows up, very fast. Faster than some power strokes I have driven.
Some thoughts

1) Make sure your IP advance/high idle circuit does not get power when warm or is intermittent. That circuit that feeds both should only have power when engine is under 130*. Check for power when the truck runs rough.
2) Could be a bad injector or two, common when buying injectors online or just over time with wear. Perhaps buy a pop tester for $100 and pop test or send to a IP guy for testing.
3) Also check your fuel pressure when running rough make sure not too high or too low.

It’s hard to make a call or diagnose when intermittent.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online