Is there anything else besides air intrusion ...

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anything else besides air intrusion which will cause the ``start easy, run a few seconds, die and restart hard'' syndrome?

The reason I'm asking is that my '89 crewcab just occasionally has that problem. Sometimes it can sit for days and be fine, sometimes I shut it down for an hour or two and it happens. It consistently runs raggedly for a few minutes when it's cold - sort of an uneven idle, with an occasional, irregular miss. At -40 degrees, the funky idle is very noticeable. Once it warms up it smooths out. Still seems powerful, still starts OK.

I can't find any fuel seeps anywhere on the return lines.

It does have a check valve between the stock filter and the mechanical fuel pump, and it does have a Facet in line between the selector valve and the mechanical fuel pump.

The pump and injectors are probably in decent shape. I think it's a rebuild by Advance Diesel in Anchorage. They've been around a while and have a good reputation.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put the check valve between the lift pump and frame in that soft hose, that way it’s at the lowest point possible in the fuel system, think of having the check valve at the bottom of a straw and lifting it up out of a cup of water, the entire straw will stay filled unlike with having it an inch above which lets the bottom inch can still drain back and fill with air. After you do that, I would closely inspect the tank selector valve and lift pump area for external leaks.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At -40*, moisture in your fuel & lines will create that problem. Get some Hot Shot Secret Extreme and double dose the tank(s).

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wes, I went and looked: I did put the check valve where you said. Cutting into the soft line there is the easy way, so of course I did it that way.

Riphip, I don't think that product is available in Alaska? I'm using Power Services white bottle antigel, a pint in every tank, along with the usual pint of 2cycle oil.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amazon delivers to your area? I did forget about the Hot Shot Secret Winter Anti-Gel:rolleyes:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Wes, I went and looked: I did put the check valve where you said. Cutting into the soft line there is the easy way, so of course I did it that way.

Riphip, I don't think that product is available in Alaska? I'm using Power Services white bottle antigel, a pint in every tank, along with the usual pint of 2cycle oil.
If you ever run into Fairbanks, oreilly carries it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Leroy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also look for kinks in the fuel hose, check how bad the olives are, especially at the hard line connections from the filter base to the back of the IP.

(carefully) can, in some places use teflon tape to make those chipped and cracked grommets seal out leaks. use carefully or not at all, never let tape rub off out into the fuel circuit.

Dirt and debris in the lines, plugged up hose in tank, clogged or wet fuel filter.

^ water ice. I had this happen a few years ago, of seldom used back tank with old wet fuel, and iced the lines.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This weekend it warmed up a bit and I was able to get the old crewcab into the shop. I replaced the Facet fuel pump with another, so now I can bleed air out of the filter without burning up my starter. I replaced the olives in the mechanical pump-to-filter line, and in the filter-to-IP line. I also plugged the line which connected the filter to the return lines.

Now the engine will start and stay started. I'm calling that a victory.

I finally got some of the Hotshot Extreme, and dosed the tank in the '89 and also in the '87. The '87 had been surging and bucking at -40, but only when holding the speed constant. If I was coasting or if I was accelerating, it was fine. Once the temps got up to -10F or so, it was fine. If we get another cold spell, I'll take the '87 out and see how it does.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online