Is there a transaxle that a IDI will bolt up to?

IdIot

Village IDIot
Reaction score
Did Ford ever make a car like the oldsmobile toronado (front wheel drive V8)?

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Actually, I saw a 32V Mark VIII at the junkyard the other day that was front wheel drive and had a transaxle. I think they only made them for a couple of years though.:sly

Not sure how close the bellhousing would be and I know the electronic controls would be a bear.

So, like Brad said: Nope.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
um sorta you can get an adaptor to go from the idi to the 302 and i think there were 302 fwd cars but why? its be way too much work and the idi would be huge

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I think there may possibly be a pusher transaxle type setup like from a bus or other industrial truck application ( anything that will bolt up to SAE2 will work with it so there are likely quite a few options), but nothing for a car unless you got REAL creative.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there may possibly be a pusher transaxle type setup like from a bus or other industrial truck application ( anything that will bolt up to SAE2 will work with it so there are likely quite a few options), but nothing for a car unless you got REAL creative.
actually, not that much work.....
if you ever shot a rear pinion through the case, removed the rear driveshaft and locked the front hubs to "get you home" that is what a fwd transaxle for your motors/trucks is like. GM did it by a massive transfercase chain in a THM400 chopped into two and turned around. those of us who have 4wd that works essentially have the same.;Sweet

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
You could swap out the Cleveland and put an IDI in a Detomaso Pantera :sly

Ok completely joking....

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would get a toronado or eldorado transaxle and hook it up, basically TH 400 internals, high geared, would last a while , a 455 olds has as much torque as an IDI. Maybe more.

IdIot

Village IDIot
Reaction score

That sounds like what i need.

I want to make a 4wheel drive mid engine Buggy, but more pre-runnerish than rockcrawler.
Independant Suspension front and rear. Using one side of the transaxle to power the front driveshaft and the other to power the rear.

Basically like this but 4 seater with IFS and IRS made for going fast
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8025083&postcount=451
That is a honda engine/transaxle (no transfer case) 39" tires, toyota axles with 5.29 gears and it tops out at 40mph

so im thinking for my project 47" tires and a more stockish ratio of around 4 to get a highway top speed

How does the IDI do climbing a 1:1 grade? any oiling issues?

Last edited:

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
You could swap out the Cleveland and put an IDI in a Detomaso Pantera :sly

Ok completely joking....

Most owners are trying to get them lighter, my Dad included. He's building an all aluminum 351 for his '72. There are a couple guys in POCA that have some, uh, "unusual" engine swaps. From Chevys to Hemis.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle