Is there a difference in c6 transmissions from pickups and motorhomes?

ptwcruiser

Reaction score
I need help. I got a 2x4 transmission from a motorhome to replace my 7.3idi f350 trans that is burned up. It has an external drum brake on the back end of it and a ujoint right on the back. I need the standard 2x4 slip yoke tail. I figured it was still the long tailshaft not the short 4x4 and I would need to swap the housings and be good. When I took off the housing the tailshaft came out with the housing. From everything I've read, a clip should hold that shaft in and be one of the last parts you can remove when dissasembling it. I've got some pictures. I don't recognize the back cover of the transmission either. Has anyone pulled one of these apart before?

You must be registered for see images attach

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have a 4x4 trans, you need a 2wd trans if you have a 2wd truck, the rear housing is built for a 4x4 in the f-superduty chassis with a emergency brake that bolts to the trans in place of the transfer case

ptwcruiser

Reaction score
So, since I have the 2 transmissions, could I swap all of the failed parts and have a working 2x4 trans with basically the cost of gaskets and fluid?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If it's like the ZF5, then the answer is no, sort of. You can't just take the parts from the back of a 4x2 transmission and put them on a 4x4 transmission. The main shaft inside the transmission is different and needs to be changed out, which invloves a complete tear down.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s what I’m thinking as well, for the price you can pick up used c6s I would just try to find a good 2wd trans. Someone may even trade you for the 4x4 trans, they are worth a good bit more.

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
Both transmissions would have to be taken apart to change output shaft. The Output shaft should not come out of the rear of the transmission. Should be a snap ring in the groove right behind the 2 oil holes in the smooth surface of the main shaft. That is what holds the main shaft inside the transmission.

VanDiesel

Reaction score
The output shaft has come out of the back of the C6 in your pictures. You could swap the regular long tailshaft housing, after disassembling and checking the motorhome extension parts. I'd like to see what that prtion looks like This is not a 4x4 transmission. I have owned and rebuilt multiple C6 transmissions, still own several working and cores.

I need help. I got a 2x4 transmission from a motorhome to replace my 7.3idi f350 trans that is burned up. It has an external drum brake on the back end of it and a ujoint right on the back. I need the standard 2x4 slip yoke tail. I figured it was still the long tailshaft not the short 4x4 and I would need to swap the housings and be good. When I took off the housing the tailshaft came out with the housing. From everything I've read, a clip should hold that shaft in and be one of the last parts you can remove when dissasembling it. I've got some pictures. I don't recognize the back cover of the transmission either. Has anyone pulled one of these apart before?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would find a transfer case, bolt it on, and then modify your driveshaft to fit, or get another driveshaft from a 4x4 truck. That low range can be handy sometimes, even though you do not have 4x4.