Is my head gasket blown??

Jmackk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys I have finally taken time to tear into this rig and get all the kinks worked out. I had some kind of oil leak the other day that has since stopped with a new lift pump and a few nuts tightened on the IP. Know I think I may have a blown head. On the way home from work the other day it started blowing whit smoke and engine temp started to rise(Not EGT's) Have checked the oil and there is no gray in it but it feels really slick and thin and i tried turning the fue down but it still blows a gray cloud(I posted a vid) I had the air filter off and noticed gray oil coming from the CDR tube, but im not loosing coolant. ***:mad::mad: Im assuming blown head gasket but I want to make sure before I pull the motor. Im trying to post a vid, Ill get it up as soon as I figure it out

And 86 F250, 6.9 IDI, ATS 088, new batteries, IP, GP(manuals), LP, and injectors

Last edited:

Jmackk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: I have oil in my coolant reservoir but not the radiator??? cant really explain that easily lol

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i would say blown head gasket but it could be the oil cooler. most likely the HG though. if my thinking is right then the coolant puke tank should remain innactive unless the engine over heats and needs a place to send it's coolant. so the only way to send oil infected coolant to the puke tank would be over heat of some sort AKA head gasket failure. if you have oil in the puke tank then it is in the rad, you just can't see it lol.

sorry to hear about the bad news. TIME FOR HEAD STUDS. Trust me(i just did my gaskets and installed studs) studs are WORTH the extra money.

Jmackk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the link to the vid on youtube, its hard to see due to glare from the sun and you can kind of see the haze from the tail pipe at the beging of the vid, but its obvious that its heavy white smoke. And I plan on studs, all gaskets/seals oversized rings if needed, and maybe even a torque cam:D:D:D;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet hahaha we will see. It sucks that it has to be done but its exciting cause its like starting a new beginning. Weirdest thing for me about this whole thing, is the truck starts on first crank, no loss of compression(from what I can tell)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk2y7zOGqfc&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always loved the smell of the initial start of a fresh engine put together with Lubriplate.

Maybe I have brain damage

Jmackk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha ya I'm kind of excited, if anyone has watched the vid above is it a general consensus that its the head from the white smoke?

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
If there is oil in the overflow, that means the cooling system is working correctly and is full. The oil will float in the coolant and be the first to go into the overflow tank. My guess is HG failure. If there is no coolant in the oil, it is less likely to be the oil cooler.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fill the coolant in the radiator up to the top of the tank and start the truck. Do you see air bubbling in the coolant? A used oil analysis can tell you if you have trace coolant in the oil. Also a compression test can let you know if one cylinder is lower than the rest.

On my 6.9, the headgasket began to leak on the #1 cylinder. Trace coolant in the oil on Blackstone report, compression was lower on that cylinder, and it would puke coolant when hauling the camper.

I'd check a few things before pulling the heads and condeming the a head gasket............ but, it sounds like that could be the problem.

Heath

Jmackk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have checked the coolant/radiator for air bubbles and I dont have any. There is only trace of oil in the puke tank and the CDR tube was pushing gray oil. When I drained the oil yesterday and there was gray in it(water) but just a little bit. Im going to figure out how to get a used oil test and see how it turns out. Also, does anyone know were I can rent a pressur tester for a diesel, lots of places have them for gassers but not diesels.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No reason to do a used oil analysis if you can actually see coolant in the oil. I couldn't see any, but it was there in trace amounts on the Blackstone oil report. If you see it, save yourself the $30 on the UOA. You can check at the local autoparts place and see if they have one you can rent that will work, but most don't have the correct adaptors or gauge (too low) to test compression on these diesels. However, NAPA can usually get you what you need.

Water in the oil and oil in the water could be the headgasket or gaskets, or the oil cooler. Do the compression test and that should help narrow it down. When you pull the glow plugs to do the compression test, if any of them have coolant on them....... then you have an answer. A bad oil cooler o-ring won't put coolant on the glow plug.

Heath

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online