Is HPOP failure always sudden?

Ferdy Mint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've had 3 fail on us now, 3 different trucks. Both of the 7.3 trucks had recent reman Ford HPOPs in there. Both failed, one within a month, one in a year. The 3rd fail was in a 6.0 and we don't know what pump it was, came with the truck.

Anyway, it's interesting that every time it was sudden failure. CNS crank no start. 200 psi on ICP or lower.

Master Tech buddy has stopped buying Ford remans entirely. Too many fails. Instead he buys new Ford or an upgraded pump from Riff Raff.

There's also this one but I don't know anybody running one yet.
RemanAutoElectronics

FYI

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not always do they just fail also the parts house ones are trash anymore. Ecklin is about the worst anymore I get a lot of mine from ghomer diesel in Missoula mt had really good results on hpops and injectors for the 7.3 and 6.0

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. HPOPs are pretty much indestructible as long as oil changes are done on schedule. Most are swapped out for "more power" long before they fail. I'd be interested in pictures of the carnage to see a failure point. At least they aren't CP4 pumps LOL.

Most "HPOP failure" diagnostics turn out to actually be LPOP fail/weak or an IPR issue.

dsrace

sand toys
Reaction score
have you considered an adrenaline hpop? i swapped to one 6 years ago and it def out performs the stock one. when i purchased mine it was because it was only $50 more then the terminator rebuild at the time. the adrenaline comes on sooner and holds better pressure then stock. here is a pic of a data log of mine running empty in 6th gear. i run an e99 manual trans drw with 3.73 gears. that data log with with the hydra tuner and on a php 40hp tow tune with the sxe 366/73 .91 exh, 205/30 cc injectors and the adrenaline performance hpop.

Attachments

• Capture-php 80dd.JPG
    Capture-php 80dd.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Capture snip it.JPG
    Capture snip it.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The hpop in my 97 e350 grew tired after enough miles. It just got harder and harder to start (wouldn't build pressure); but if/when it did start, it never missed a beat.

Swapped in a used '99 hpop and it behaved.