Is a turbo mandatory for fuel economy?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The prechambers are on the low side of the chevy heads, which could explain the fuel economy difference..have fun getting to the glow plugs and injectors though. As for fuel economy, I haven't experienced any solid proof that they get consistently better MPGs...however, they were offered in 1/2 ton trucks with optional overdrive automatics even back in the 80s. It would be the equivalent to getting a ford F150 in 1986 with the AOD (which has one of the highest OD ratios of any 4-speed auto).

It's not a terrible engine, but it will be harder to service some things compared to a 6.9/7.3 IDI. My dad has a 1993 6.5 turbo (non-ECU injector pump) and it has done well over the years, but the main strength of that truck is the 4L80 transmission. The engine has a chain driven timing set that will need changing around the 200k mile mark, and loading them heavy will cause overheating. Head gasket job is not really much worse than a 6.9 because the engine is physically smaller, but it has a more complex accessory package that makes teardown and reassembly a bit of a chore.

The trade off is that the turbo package is easier to deal with on the 6.2/6.5. However, access to glow plugs and injectors on the turbo side is a pain.

If you were building a non-turbo half ton truck, I'd go with a 6.2/6.5. Anything in a 3/4 ton that will be used as such; 6.9/7.3. Then again, you could just fit a 4BT in there too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online