Is a gasser trans case the same as a diesel case

bugman40284

Reaction score
So I recently purchased a 1990 d350 with a bad transmission. I figured the packs were probably bad, but when I tore the tranny apart I found that the case was broken on the inside ring. My guess is someone dropped it into gear or they were towing something really freaking heavy. So is a gasser transmission case the same as a diesel transmission case. I am 90 percent sure that it is a A518 tranny.

ALSO: What am I suppose to call this transmission. I've seen 46re, 46rh, A518, 747, P4465OS........ what is the most common designation?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go ahead and start a 3rd thread on the same question... EDIT to much white dog sorry.
Thanx k

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I recently purchased a 1990 d350 with a bad transmission. I figured the packs were probably bad, but when I tore the tranny apart I found that the case was broken on the inside ring. My guess is someone dropped it into gear or they were towing something really freaking heavy. So is a gasser transmission case the same as a diesel transmission case. I am 90 percent sure that it is a A518 tranny.

ALSO: What am I suppose to call this transmission. I've seen 46re, 46rh, A518, 747, P4465OS........ what is the most common designation?
if you are a 1990, and you have 3 forward gears, you're a 727 trans. if you have overdrive, then you are a A518. where is your location? I know a member who did a manual NV4500 swap and pulled out a A518.
you just might be able to work out a deal if you are close by.
oh, your trans bolt pattern is the same as a big block mopar.

Last edited:

Broken_Season

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a a518 (not A904) I swapped out for a NV4500. Trans does need a fresh rebuild etc. Comes with cummins adapter plate ad starter. The casing for gas and diesel are the same if I am not mistaken. I can snag some photos tomorrow and you can decide. I'm currently located in South bay California.

Broken_Season

Reaction score
Pulled a few a photos from right when I pulled out he trans.

You must be registered for see images attach

bugman40284

Reaction score
I am located north of Sacramento in Folsom. I don't know about the A518. From what I can tell it seems quite a bit longer. I am hoping to do a quick rebuild and install, not really looking to have to cut the drive shaft and fab. I am definitely interested in that A904 Towcat. I am pretty sure you hooked me up with a 6.9 IDI a while back. Gotta say I miss that truck.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am located north of Sacramento in Folsom. I don't know about the A518. From what I can tell it seems quite a bit longer. I am hoping to do a quick rebuild and install, not really looking to have to cut the drive shaft and fab. I am definitely interested in that A904 Towcat. I am pretty sure you hooked me up with a 6.9 IDI a while back. Gotta say I miss that truck.
I made a mistake in calling the trans an A904. Jacob is the one who has the trans I'm talking about. It's longer due to the add-on overdrive. i'll check my parts sources here and see if parts are available.
was it you who got a 6.9 shortblock from me?

bugman40284

Reaction score
Yeah I picked it up in that dodge sprinter. I will call around tomorrow and see if anybody has an A904 case lying around. Here is a picture of that case. I shoved a screw driver through so you can see where it cracked. Does anyone know why this happened?

bugman40284

Reaction score
so here is the shape of my case. It looks like a 727/A518 to me but am I crazy?

It also looks like it has overdrive because it has the three prong plug going into the case and the two prong.

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jacob is more intimate knowledge on these since he just finished wrestling with his.
with my limited knowledge(i forget more these days than I remember)
i will need to look at the two pans to know if they are the same or not.
but i suspect the case half you are looking for is what he has on the ground and all you need to do is play mix-n-match with your parts to make it all work.

Broken_Season

Reaction score
The trans you have bugman is a A518. a 727 trans does not have the opening plate on the bottom of the bell housing.

Broken_Season

Reaction score
Also ill mention the A904 does not have the plate on the bottom of the bell housing too.

This is the plate I am talking about.

bugman40284

Reaction score
Sweet. So how much would you sell me that A518 you have there Jacobe?
Towcat, I sold the IDI because I thought that a wrx would be a fun car to have and I have regretted every second since that truck drove out of my driveway. I even tried to buy it back from the kid that I sold it to.