is a dana 60 really needed?

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have got my hands on a drw dana 60 king pin frt axle and have thought about using it. i also have picked up a project truck, 4 door dually, that im going to be using for daily driver duties, towing various trailers (instate and out of state), hauling and taking the family out and about. its a 2wd right now but i have a few parts around here to add to it. the truck is going 7.3 IDI turbo diesel. the truck right now is a 460/5 speed 2wd, and i have a np 205 divorced transfer case, a np205 married unit, a np203 married unit, a Zf5 4x4 diesel trans, a complete dana 50 frt axle with everything to swap it in and it has a limited slip. the dana 50 also has all new ball joints, tie rod ends,bushings, brakes and all. guess the questing is should i really put the 60 in when i dont plan on going offroad with it. it will be serving duty as a road king, but it will be off pavement when needed. when offroad it will be collecting firewood, parking with a camper in grass, just the usual stuff a towing truck would do. also with the dana 60 i dont have frt springs or track bar bracket, but building a track bar bracket would be no problem for me.
so guys, with the parts i have at hand what would you guys do?
another thing i was thinking was keeping the stock frt suspension in the truck (coil springs with radius arms) and use it with either the dana 50 or the dana 60.
what parts i dont use will be for sale.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
If I were doing what you are doing, I'd no doubt use the dana 60. I prefer them to the TTB, but that's just me. Since changing my 44 to the 60, my truck is night and day, ESPECIALLY on road. Handles much better, etc. but it is a heavy axle and may not ride quite as smooth. I put the F350 springs and an add-a-leaf on mine versus the d44's worn out, bouncing off the bump stop front springs, so I really can't compare the two. I do know, my truck handles much better!

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im in the same dilemma and plan to leave mine 2wd until I get a set of newer superduty coil sprung axles. I have a couple drw 60 axles but really like the 2wd steering and ride. Plus with a good limited slip I've never had to lock any of my drw 4x4s into 4wd to get through anything.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
A dana 50 truck will sit about 2" lower than a D60 truck.

I my self will NEVER own another TTB truck unless it is a F150 or ranger. I dont feel the design is capable of holding a 3/5 or 1 ton truck

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I would accept a TTB truck if it's what was offered to me, they are fine for the wheeling you described. I would not put all that time and effort into making a project out of a TTB when the D60 is right there staring at me.-Drool

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
A dana 50 truck will sit about 2" lower than a D60 truck.

I my self will NEVER own another TTB truck unless it is a F150 or ranger. I dont feel the design is capable of holding a 3/5 or 1 ton truck

For a DD, with not much off-highway use i would be swayed toward the dana 50, being it will sit lower and probably give a little nicer ride. that said, its the same amount of work to do both, and if the better option is available...:sly

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I was stuck with the dilemma of either searching for a D60 recently, or rebuilding my D50. I was completely on-board with the D60 swap, was all convinced that's what I wanted until I saw my options.

Most of the axles I looked at were completely worn out, rusted out and petrified, missing hardware, etc... one was all hacked up for "shortening" for a jeep... cookoo Guy still tried to convince me that I could "easily weld the thing back together for a Ford truck" Not for $1500... And not in my rv campsite parking lot...

In the end I got all XRF ball joints, pivot bushings, tie rods, all three u-joints, and new shocks for under $500 and rebuilt my D50 back to spec.

If I were doing a 2wd to 4wd swap, and you've already got all the hardware for the D60 then that's the route I would go... There's no doubt its a good axle, it's just not worth the effort for some (me...)

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
imho a ttb d44 or d50 is a poor substitute to a d60. more parts to wear, keeping it aligned is a pain, and the ride comfort sucks. a kingpin d60 takes much longer to wear out, and rides so much better. the downside is the abysmal turning radius.
now if you don't need a 4wd hauling vehicle, there's no better comfort than a CC 4x2 longbed dually.;Sweet my '92 rides like a caddy;p

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
there's no better comfort than a CC 4x2 longbed dually.;Sweet my '92 rides like a caddy;p

Yes it does... ;Sweet

Made the long trip to LA and back seem quite pleasant...

I'm afraid if my wife rode in your CC she'd make me part with my truck.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
just buy her a 2wd SC or CC:D;Sweet;Sweet

:rotflmao

That's good right there... MORE reasons for me to work at the shop! She keeps letting me throw money at my truck because she believes that one day it will give a mighty burp, step back from the table and excuse itself from my paycheck buffet.

Throw another Ford into the fray and I believe the world may very well come to an end in my neck of the woods... :sly

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
only time i will need 4wd is in the winter, or if i need to get firewood, or something like that. i have driven a 2wd since 1998 and would rather have 4wd when needed, other then that it is going to be a on road truck. driving a 2wd 4 door dually in WV in winter does not work out well. remember the truck will be mostly a family truck/ daily driver/ tow rig. also i only have the dana 60 axle. i dont have the straight axle springs, or track bar. the dana 50 has everything new with poly bushing. the dana 50 also has a limited slip brand new.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I have enjoyed both, I intended to keep the d50 in my utility body work truck till a d60 fell in my lap, once my broken femurs heal i'll install the d60, this is intended to be a no holds barred real cowboy work truck, winches front and rear, tow 10k equipment trailers, go anywhere.

My 4 door bronco project will have a coil sprung d50, looking at half and three quarter ton ttb axles I should be able to use half ton bottom spring perches on HD d50 axle with HD coil springs all bolt in factory parts for a comfy highway ride and various trips to Tahoe.

Ask towcat about an eccentric bushing for alligning.